Give ‘Em The Boot

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Emory chapter.

This time of year brings about the emergence of various unused parts of our closet. Girls drag out their fleece lined leggings; the light cardigan is exchanged for the structured blazer; and most noticeably, the barely-there summer sandal is replaced by the ever-iconic boot. Undoubtedly the easiest way to make or break an outfit, the boot can do wonders for a seemingly bland ensemble. So take this article as a guide to the perfect boot.

The Motorcycle Boot

Since the dawn of the biker gang, edgy fashionistas around the world have flocked to the signature biker boot. It is hard to walk through campus without seeing someone stomping around in the tough-girl uniform of a leather jacket, black leggings, and her motorcycle boots. If you’re not ready to sacrifice your florals but want to add some kick to your style, try pairing these with a pair of tights and a sweet sweater like this one from Urban Outfitters, creating a balance between an unapproachable hard-core punk fan and the demure Southern belle native to our dear Georgia.

The Riding Boot

A staple in any New Englander’s closet, the leather riding boot is one of the most versatile boots of the season. It can add a touch of class to even the cheapest Forever 21 ensemble and is a surefire way to look put-together in no time. Often associated with the J-Crew clad northern elite, the riding boot is actually a college staple (at least in this girl’s opinion).  The classic riding boot from Madewell paired with your favorite blue jeans and a solid colored sweater over a chambray is instantly chic and easy to pull off.

The Combat Boot

Often confused with its cohort, the motorcycle boot, the combat boot adds the predicament of laces. Perhaps the trendiest of these three boots, this boot can be seen on most girls at Emory. What is important with the combat boot is to stand out in the crowd of black and brown versions. Ready to pull off the trend, but not ready to conform? Try this floral version by Dr Martens. They epitomize their “hard-core” origins while maintaining a feminine air, creating the perfect accessory to most outfits. Try them with a high-waisted short, a tucked in silk blouse, and a light cardigan.

Boots can be easily stereotyped by who typically wears them, but it takes a true fashionista to revolutionize their meaning. Instead of immediately classifying something as not your style, figure out a way to make it fit with how you like to dress. I advise the girls of Emory, and at colleges across the country, to defy style norms and take a risk on a boot you wouldn’t normally wear. It’s a foolproof way to be memorable. 

Jessica lives her life at several speeds. She talks too fast, eats too slow and over-analyzes too much.  When she’s not telling long-winded stories, sitting alone at the dinner table, or staring off into space, Jessica loves all things creative. Screenwriter, play director and poet at age 9, songwriter and choreographer at age 16, now, at 23, all she really wants to do is write, help others, and post Instagrams.  As a social media coordinator for multiple fashion brands, and a post-grad writer for Her Campus, she gets to do just that. Jessica is a Midwestern girl from the suburbs of Chicago, but she fell in love with city living during a summer internship in the Big Apple, and now calls NYC home. Jessica loves chocolate milkshakes, dance parties, Chippewa Ranch Camp, Friends re-runs, Chuck Bass and of course, spending time with her fans (read: family and friends).