Freshman Guide to Emory Fashion

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Emory chapter.

If you’re reading this article right now that means either you’re just curious what I have to say, or you’re a newbie to the Emory community and looking for advice on what to wear on different occasions.  Well, today is your lucky day!  Here are a few different types of events that may pop up on your calendar within the next year and when they do, you will be prepared and know what to wear.

FRAT PARTY

Many times frats have themed parties.  While most of you are probably thinking, “Yes, College! I can’t wait!” I am sure some of you are wondering why you would ever pretend it’s Halloween for more than one night each year.  But, why not?

Go into your closet, friends’ closets, roommate’s closet, and you should even go down the hall and make friends with those girls whose names you do not know and find something to wear!  Many girls find that they bond most with their hall mates while trying to find something to wear to a themed party.  And, if you absolutely can’t find anything at all in your b
uilding, go to the mall or Little Five to find something to pull off for the night.  You never know, sometimes having themed parties makes it easier to actually pick out an outfit.

For those nights when it’s not a themed party, your options of what to wear are not so limited.  Yes, I know – this will most likely make your life much more difficult as you look into your closet and try to pull out one thing to wear.  However, this means you can basically wear just about anything – I just wouldn’t really recommend pajamas (unless that’s the theme) and cannot honestly say that I wouldn’t laugh at you if I saw you walking into a party in a prom dress. 

Otherwise, I would say pick out a pair of shorts/jeans depending on the weather and pair them with a cute top.  The top can be anywhere from casual to a fancier top that you might wear with a skirt or jeans and heels to a club.  Or if you’re really in the mood, you can cer
tainly pull off a pretty casual skirt or a summer dress (when weather appropriate).

Heels? Definitely not a must.  If you feel like wearing heels, go for it!  However, sandals, toms, and just about any casual shoe would work.  When the weather gets colder boots are also definitely appropriate as well. When you’re on your way to a frat just think that you are going out for a casual to nice dinner out with your friends.

WARNING: Do not ever wear your favorite outfit to a crowded frat party.  Unless your new shirt/jeans/skirt is indestructible, do not wear something that will make you cry if a drink is spilled on it.

CLUB

One thing that I think all guys and girls would agree about clubs is that
it gets hot.  So when choosing whether you should wear that long-sleeve dress and sweater or the little black dress, I would choose the little black dress any day.  When picking out an outfit to wear to a club, think of what your mother would consider “business attire” and then take the business-y part out because you know every girl there will be showing off at least some skin.  I definitely would say a solid color bandage skirt is a perfect item to have in your closet because you can just throw a cute top with it, be done in seconds, and be prepared for several club nights (assuming you have several tops that match the skirt). 

If there’s a big event at a club, either find a cute skirt and top to pair with some cute heels, or grab a cute dress that is fancy but not too fancy.  In the spectrum of fanciness you want to find a dress/skirt that is too fancy to wear to class, your friends house, and just out to dinner, but much less fancy than a prom dress or a dress you would wear to any formal event.  When you’re on your way to a club just think that you are going to a really nice dinner party/small celebration. 

WARNING: If you are one of those girls that can’t stand heels and usually can’t last the whole night with them on your feet, you might not want to wear them.  If you want to have fun, you will be dancing and your feet might not last the whole night.  Heels are hot, but you don’t want to ruin your night over them.  If you are this girl, buy some cute flats!

SEMI-FORMAL

When formal time comes around, first remember to breathe.  Everything is going to be ok, you will find a dress
to wear!  One important thing to remember is that you already graduated High School.  There is no need for you to buy a long gown like you did for your High School prom.  You want to look hot, but you definitely don’t need to have the whole room staring at you as you walk in.   The kind of dress you will wear to a semi-formal is taking a dress you would wear to a club up a notch in fanciness.  You don’t want to throw on a little black dress or skirt and a top.  Instead, find a dress that is a little bit fancier, cute, maybe even sophisticated and pair some heels with it and you’re good to go. 

MAGGIES

Maggies is not a place that you will change for.  You will already be out, under the influence, and partying to even think about the fact that you are already in a cab on your way to Maggies.  Therefore, your attire for Maggies is whatever you wore to the place you are coming from, which will probably be one of the aforementioned places.  Depending on where people come from before they somehow end up at Maggies, people will be dressed differently varying from casual outfits, to a little fancier, such something you would wear to a club.  Don’t worry, it doesn’t really matter what you wear to Maggies anyway because I promise you, no one will remember.