This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Emory chapter.

It’s no secret that Emory students don’t have the best relationship with their on-campus dining options. The Duc? There might be one thing on the menu that sounds edible. Cox? You can only have so much Maru. Kaldis? Probably the only trusted spot on campus-  that is, until they failed their health inspection, RIP Kaldis. Believe me, I know how old it gets to have ginger chicken day after day, but I hate how we don’t realize how good we really have it. We don’t have the best food, but we not only HAVE access to food, but we also have access to fresh and healthy food as Emory students.

Food security, as defined by the United Nations’ Committee on World Food Security, means all people at all times have physical, social, and economic access to sufficient, safe, and nutritious food that meets their food preferences and dietary needs for an active and healthy life. Yeah, you don’t love the DUC, but at least you know you can always swipe in for a quick salad, sandwich, or apple on the go. Many people do not have that luxury.

According to the US Department of Agriculture, 870 million people around the world do not have access to a sufficient supply of nutritious and safe food. In metro Atlanta and north Georgia alone, 755,400 people rely on food pantries and meal service programs to sustain themselves and their families. A staggering one in four children in Georgia live in food insecure households. That’s one in four growing children that should not have to suffer from poor health because they do not have access to safe and nutritious food- food that we as students should be extremely grateful we do have access to.

My intention in this article is not to guilt-trip you, because I find myself complaining about the redundancy of my diet at Emory too often. Just remember to be mindful when you sit down to ainner with your friends before a trip to libs. Think about how many people in this world, and in this state, are not as fortunate as you. If you have the time, consider volunteering at the Atlanta Community Food Bank or another food pantry here in Atlanta. You can make a fun and meaningful weekend out of volunteering with a few classmates or a group of friends.

Link to Atlanta Community Food Bank: https://acfb.org/volunteer

Madeleine McGuinness is a sophomore at Emory University majoring in Human Health. She is interested in all things concerning women’s health and well-being!
Hong Kong born and raised, Manishka is widely known for two things – her clumsiness and her ability to spend hours laughing at her own jokes! When she’s not busy trying to find out how she got her latest bruise, she can usually be found eating an avocado, while re-watching Gossip Girl for the 6th…no… 7th time! Her hobbies include raiding the fridge, stalking Doug the Pug on Instagram and trying to find out the secret ingredient in Krabby Patties.