The Fastest Way to Healthy Hair

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Emory chapter.

Spring is right around the corner, which means say goodbye to your dry, winter hair and hello to a shiny, new mane. It all starts with the underrated art of the hair wash. It is important to establish the perfect ritual to fabulous and healthy hair.

Step 1: Shampoo

First: Detangle your hair. It is vital to brush your hair before you wash, plus you’ll avoid hairballs in the drain.

Second: Use less than you think. That’s a quarter size amount of shampoo (double for long hair.)

Third: Work it in, and use the pads of your fingers, not your nails, to knead the scalp. Never shampoo the ends of your hair as it can get dried out!

Step 2: Condition

First: Avoid the scalp. Start with your dry ends, and stop three quarters of the way up. If you put conditioner in your scalp it can lead to greasy roots or dandruff.

Rinse well: Don’t just sit around the shower and expect it to do damage control. Use your fingers to separate hair, and finish with cool water to seal the cuticle and lock in shine!

Her Campus at Emory University