Eye Shadows to Make Your Eyes Pop

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Emory chapter.

Your eyes are one of the most prominent features of your face and are by far the most expressive. Generally, someone’s eyes are the first thing you really notice when meeting someone. As a result, they can be the most time consuming when it comes to makeup. However, if you know the right shade for your eye color, you can use just a swipe of eye shadow and a little mascara or eyeliner and get the same effect as a full on smoky eye. Each eye color has a range of colors that can really make your eyes stand out.

1. Hazel/Green Eyes

For hazel or green eyes, I recommend colors in the lavender or pink range, especially when combined with a little bit of gold. 

2. Blue Eyes

Blue eyes look really nice with earthy colors, light grey colors, and silver shadows.

3. Brown Eyes

Brown eyes typically look great with any color, but to make them pop, avoid brown shadows that are similar to your eye color. Gold eye shadows or anything with green, pink, or blue undertones can make a huge difference.

4. Grey Eyes

Grey eyes look the best with colors that have a purple or blue undertone, because it can make your grey eye color really stand out. You can also use darker shadows to make grey eyes brighter.

A good tip is to remember the complementary colors chart from your elementary art class. You can also look at the flecks of different colors that your eyes might have and play those up too. The charts below can help you find your perfect shade!

Student at Emory University
Her Campus at Emory University