Escape the Finals Madness: Atlanta’s Best Study Spots

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Emory chapter.

With winter break just around the corner, we are entering into the scariest time of the semester: finals. Endless hours in the library bent over textbooks can drive even the most composed Emory lady to sheer madness, making a Jazzman’s coffee break your new idea of “fun.” If the idea of spending hours under the fluorescent lights in the stacks is enough to make you cringe, consider finding a new environment for your studying this year. While we all have a soft spot in our hearts for our very own Starbucks on campus, it seems to lose some of its charm when it is constantly packed with students in a caffeine induced study frenzy. Escape the stressed-out mobs this week by exploring some of Atlanta’s cozy coffee shops; who says finals can’t be a LITTLE fun?!

1. Dancing Goats Coffee Bar 

This Coffee spot has a chic and modern interior sure to keep you motivated when you’re on your study grind. A favorite spot for many Emory professors, this little hideaway is close enough to campus to be convenient, but not so close that it will be over crowded with students cramming. 419 W Ponce De Leon Ave, Decatur, GA 30033 

2. Octane Coffee Bar and Tea Lounge 

Octane gets some pretty stellar online reviews, and it seems like one of Atlanta’s favorite hipster hideaways. Fill up a cup with your favorite coffee drink of choice, and give yourself a people-watching break between assignments. Another perk to coffee houses- finding cool new songs by listening to their in-house playlist. 437 Memorial Drive, Suite A5, Atlanta, GA 30312

3. Cafe Intermezzo 

What’s the only thing better than a killer cappuccino? Dessert. And Cafe Intermezzo is acing the sweets game. The combination of sugar and caffeine will give you the energy you need to power through the finals blues, and hey, chocolate makes everything better- right? 4505 Ashford Dunwoody Road, Atlanta, GA 30346

4. Java Jive 

This little purple getaway is conveniently located right on Ponce, so it is close enough to escape to straight from campus. Java Jive is always landing in the top-rated coffee shops in Atlanta, so set up study camp here and sample some of their delicious caffeinated drinks! 790 Ponce de Leon Ave. NE, Atlanta, GA 30306

5. Aurora Coffee 

You probably have already passed this cozy little spot on your search for the perfect themed-party outfits, because it is right next to Junkmans Daughter thrift store in Little Five Points. Don’t let the painted flames on the exterior scare you away- this little spot makes some killer coffee and is never too crowded to relax and get a seat. 468 Moreland Ave. NE, Atlanta, GA 30307 

6. ChocoLate Coffee 

Located just 5 minutes from campus, this shop couldn’t be more convenient. For everyone living in Gables Montclair and Highland Lake, you’re just minutes away from this comfy retreat. Super friendly service, free wifi, and comfy couches all make for the perfect study spot. Just beware of the big leather chairs… after pulling an all-nighter you will be asleep before you’ve even opened your laptop. 2094 N Decatur Rd., Decatur, GA 30033 

7. JavaVino 

Yes, the name does mean what you think it means, this place serves coffee AND wine. Basically the mecca for college girls everywhere. A late night study session with wine available might be a dangerous game, but it’s worth the risk to enjoy this fun new spot. 579 North Highland Ave. NE, Atlanta, GA 30307 

8. Caribou Coffee 

You probably have encountered Caribou Coffee before, but this chain is taking off because it’s delicious! Pick the location that’s easiest for you and hunker down with a pastry and a cup of hot coffee. 3261 Peachtree Road NE., Atlanta, GA 30305

9. Inman Perk 

In case the Friends reference isn’t enough to have you sprinting to study at this spot, they are known for having awesome study snacks and sandwiches along with great drink options. This might be a little further from campus than you had planned to go, but it’s totally worth it if you’re planning on staying all day. 240 North Highland Ave. NE, Atlanta, GA 30307 

10. Java Lords 

Another Little Five Points oasis, this place has the classic coffee shop vibe that you’re craving. Grab a seat and get comfortable, and if you desperately need a study break you can explore the thrift shops around Little 5 as you work! 1105 Euclid Ave. NE., Atlanta, GA 30307

Her Campus at Emory University