This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Emory chapter.

In order to commemorate the 10-year anniversary of the terrorist attacks on the World Trade Center (9/11), leaders of the Emory community have come together to plan a series of events. “Emory Remembers 9/11” will take place from September 7th through September 13th, and will include programs such as religious services, artistic and musical events, and panel discussions.

The program sponsors and organizers, who have been planning this event since June, include “the Emory Center for Ethics and the Emory Office of Religious Life?in Partnership with the Office of the Provost and the Office of the President, ?with generous contributions by Campus Life, Volunteer Emory, ?the Emory Episcopal Campus Ministry and the Episcopal Diocese of Atlanta,” as the Emory Remembers 9/11 schedule states.  

In order to gain insight into the specific events, we spoke with Professor Timothy Albrecht who teaches music at the Graduate School of Arts and Sciences and church music at the Candler School of Theology.

On September 11th at 4 PM, Professor Albrecht will perform a four-minute organ musical paraphrase of the Bach Chorale “O Eternity.” Professor Albrecht explained that he arranged the harmonization himself, and that the piece “begins very softly and crescendos (increases volume) throughout the rendition.” When we asked Professor Albrecht about the significance of his performance in relation to the memorial of September 11th, he replied that the paraphrase “gives hope to us all,” and that “the chorale title itself suggests contemplation of ‘greater things.’”

Another event we explored is “The Mind’s Eye,” a photography exhibit that is curated by Juana Clem McGhee, the Academic Department Administrator for the Department of Middle Eastern and Southern Asian Studies (MESAS), and contains the works of Myron McGhee. The MESAS website describes the exhibit as a collection of Tibetan Monks painting sand mandalas. It is on display now in the Schwartz Center for Performing Arts and there will be a reception honoring the role of arts in peacemaking on September 11th from 12:30 PM-2:30 PM

A full list of the programs can be seen here.

We encourage all our readers to participate in these programs and honor September 11th with the entire Emory community.