College Cooking: What’s in Season?

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Emory chapter.

Get fabulous flavor and great deals by buying seasonal winter vegetables.  Exceptional produce like broccoli, brussels sprouts, carrots, cauliflower, celery, onions, potatoes, parsnips, sweet potatoes, and squash are all at their peak of deliciousness as soon as the cold weather sets in. Unfortunately, in the winter months we often retreat from fresh produce, thinking it’s not as available or as tasty. Admittedly, a summer-ripe tomato is hard to beat, but done the right way, winter produce can be just as exciting. Try some of these unexpected vegetable recipes and liven up your cold-weather meals.

Curried Winter Squash: Slice any squash in half, discard the seeds and cut into wedges. Brush all over with melted butter or olive oil and season the flesh with curry powder, salt, and pepper. Roast on a baking sheet at 400 degrees until softened, about 30 minutes. Season with more salt if needed.

Roasted Potatoes, Carrots, Parsnips and Brussels Sprouts: For this recipe you will need 1/3 cup extra-virgin olive oil, 3 medium carrots cut into 1.5 inch thick circles, 1.5 cups brussels sprouts halved, 4 cups red bliss potatoes cut into 1.5 inch thick slices, 1 tablespoon of dried oregano, 1 tablespoon dried rosemary, 1 teaspoon dried thyme, 1 teaspoon dried basil, sea salt, and black pepper. Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Grease an 11 by 17 inch baking sheet with extra virgin olive oil. Place vegetables in baking sheet and add dried herbs, salt, and pepper. Toss well, evenly coating all the vegetables with the seasonings and oil. Add more oil if vegetables seem dry. Spread the vegetables evenly on a large baking sheet. Place on middle rack and bake for 35 to 40 minutes.

Chickpea and Vegetable Stew:
For this recipe you will need 2 teaspoons olive oil, 1 cup chopped onion, 1 cup sliced leek, 1/2 teaspoon ground coriander, 1/2 teaspoon crushed caraway seeds, 1/8 teaspoon ground cumin, 1/8 teaspoon ground red pepper, 1 minced garlic clove, 3 2/3 cups vegetable stock, 2 cups cubed peeled butternut squash, 1 cup sliced carrot, 3/4 cup cubed and peeled Yukon gold potato, 1.5 teaspoon tomato paste, salt, 1 pound of turnips peeled and cut into wedges, 1 (15oz) can of chickpeas, 1/4 cup chopped parsley, 1.5 teaspoons honey, 1 1/3 cups uncooked couscous, and 8 lemon wedges. Heat oil in a large saucepan over medium-high heat. Add onion and leek; saute 5 minutes. Add coriander and next 4 ingredients; cook one minute, stirring constantly. Add 3 cups of vegetable stock and the next 7 ingredients; bring to boil. Cover, reduce heat and simmer 30 minutes. Stir in parsley and honey. Remove 2/3 cup of hot cooking liquid. Place liquid and remaining 2/3 cup of vegetable stock in medium bowl. Stir in couscous. Cover and let stand 5 minutes. Fluff with fork and serve with lemon wedges.

Winter Greens and Potato Casserole: For this recipe you will need 8 cups of water, 12 cups chopped kale with the stems removed, 12 cups chopped mustard greens with the stems removed, 6 cups (1/8 inch thick) slices of red potato, cooking spray, 2 cups of vertically sliced onion, 3/4 teaspoon salt, 1 cup shredded sharp provolone cheese, and 1/2 cup of vegetable broth. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Bring water to a boil in a large pot. Add kale and mustard greens and cook 5 minutes. Drain and set aside. Arrange 2 cups of potato slices in a single later in a 13 by 9 inch baking dish coated with cooking spray; top with one cup of onion. Sprinkle with some salt, top with half of kale mixture. Sprinkle with 1/2 cup of cheese. Repeat layers once, end with the kale mixture. Top kale mixture with remaining 2 cups of potatoes, and sprinkle with the rest of the cheese. Pour vegetable broth evenly over the dish and sprinkle with a little more salt. Cover with foil and bake for 45 minutes. Uncover and bake another 30 minutes.

These dishes are extremely versatile- mix and match your favorite vegetable and cooking technique. Try and refrain from boiling your vegetables because this significantly decreases their nutrients; roasting and sauteing concentrate flavor and maintain their nutritious value. All of these healthy recipes are packed with flavor and nutrition so get in the kitchen and start cooking before the season is over!

Jessica lives her life at several speeds. She talks too fast, eats too slow and over-analyzes too much.  When she’s not telling long-winded stories, sitting alone at the dinner table, or staring off into space, Jessica loves all things creative. Screenwriter, play director and poet at age 9, songwriter and choreographer at age 16, now, at 23, all she really wants to do is write, help others, and post Instagrams.  As a social media coordinator for multiple fashion brands, and a post-grad writer for Her Campus, she gets to do just that. Jessica is a Midwestern girl from the suburbs of Chicago, but she fell in love with city living during a summer internship in the Big Apple, and now calls NYC home. Jessica loves chocolate milkshakes, dance parties, Chippewa Ranch Camp, Friends re-runs, Chuck Bass and of course, spending time with her fans (read: family and friends).