Balancing Girlhood: Sorority Life and School

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Emory chapter.

As girls came screaming down Eagle Row last Sunday in matching sweatshirts and carrying their oversized Greek letters, the excitement was undeniable. The stressful process of girl flirting was finally over and the new girls would soon be able to sport their beloved letter-bags.

But as the bid-day frenzy came to a close, some girls have found themselves living a double life: Emory student by day, sorority girl by night.

The challenge comes when girls have to balance sorority life and school. If not careful, you can find yourself at the end of the semester with only a faint memory of ever seeing the inside of the library. Work can become a thing of the past as mixers, date parties, and chapter become the focus of your new life.

Like many, I have gone through this before. But seeing as we go to Emory and sororities are not the most important thing on campus, girls will need to figure out how to maintain their life pre-sorority.

There are a few things to do to insure that you don’t get sucked into being a sorostitute.

1. Use your free time efficiently.

Believe it or not, the time in between classes can be productive! Try to actually do that reading for class rather than going on Facebook or taking your afternoon nap.

To help you stay on track with your busy schedule, try things like mapping out your day the night before so you know exactly what you need to accomplish.

And as Nike says, “Just do it!” Although no one likes doing homework or replying to emails, we all need to get it done. Procrastinating will only make you more stressful in the end.

1. You don’t have to go cray at every event!

Although it is always fun to let loose and dance on those tables, it might be a good idea to take a night off every once in a while. Go to the sorority events you want to, but also make sure you take a night to stay in and watch a movie or even go out and skip Maggie’s. Everyone needs to recoup sometimes, so make sure to give yourself time to do so.

1. Get advice from the older girls.

The best tips on how to manage being in a sorority will come from your sisters. You can talk to them about anything you are having problems with whether it is schoolwork, managing your schedule, or what to wear to a Dynamic Duo themed party. Your sorority sisters have been there before and want to help you out.

So as you see more girls rocking their letters around campus remember that sororities do not have to consume us. We all need to figure out how to be as smooth as Hannah Montana in leading a double life.  

Her Campus at Emory University