This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Emory chapter.

As one of the most iconic American celebrities, Marilyn Monroe’s legacy continues to live on way past her death in 1962. In addition to being a successful actress, singer, and model, she became one of America’s major sex symbols and fashion inspirations. In order to emulate the beauty and appeal of Marilyn Monroe, the designers at Macy’s Inc. asked the question: “What would Marilyn wear today if she were out for a night in the meatpacking district?”

Coming to Macy’s in March, a new collection focused on the styles of Marilyn Monroe will hit 150 stores nation-wide. You’re always bound to get an interesting reaction when a superstar, dead for 50 years, starts a clothing label, but this idea is something to get excited for! Macy’s designed this Marilyn Monroe-inspired “Bombshell” look, targeted for the younger generation, aged 13-30. All the styles will be updated slightly to fit the modern cultural image of fashion that resonates with teens in America. This means shorter, tighter, and sexier, but with a vintage-y feel and look about them.

What does this mean for the college fashionista? Well, first off, we can celebrate that the iconic looks of America’s own major sex symbol from the 1950s will be accessible and updated to something we wouldn’t look out of place wearing around campus. We all love the classic black and white photo of Marilyn perched atop a subway grate with her below-knee length dress billowing up around her, but that’s not something we all could comfortably wear every day. Macy’s design team will be recreating this look, as well as many others of Marilyn’s, from the 20th century for the college fashionistas of the 21st century to rock in class and out for the evening.

Get ready to pull out your pumps and red lipstick. Bombshell is back, recreated from its origins with Marilyn Monroe, and it is now better than ever for spring and summer! Head to your local Macy’s in March to see what iconic looks you can recreate!

Her Campus at Emory University