Up in the Air: Revival of the Airport Chic

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Emory chapter.

Walking through the Atlanta airport provides a mélange of stylistic choices, ranging from seemingly homeless to Wall Street types reading the New York Times in the Delta Sky Club. What ever happened to the days where going to the airport was a place to show off your style and class? There was no talk of wearing sweatpants and a hoodie to the airport in those days, so I ask you fashionistas of the world, if you don’t wear workout clothes while running around on a normal day, then why would you wear them to the busiest international airport in the country?

So I implore the women of Emory to channel your inner Audrey Hepburn or Brigitte Bardot next time you fly home. I would not ask you to wear your six-inch heels or tightest skinny jeans, but it’s time to start representing yourself like the classy Emory student you are.

First of all, just because you are not wearing yoga pants and an oversized sweatshirt does not mean you cannot be comfortable. No one wants to go through a two-hour plane ride with a pair of jeans cutting off your circulation. In the golden days, the starlets would grab a skirt suit and a hat, swipe on some lipstick and look gorgeous. Today this seems unnecessary, but instead of grabbing your workout clothes, try wearing a cute dress and cardigan combo. Legs too cold? Leggings and a sweater with a pair of riding boots is just as adorable.

Tip: Wear no-fuss shoes so you’re not in security holding everyone up with your Jeffrey Campbell knee high 100-buckle gladiator sandals.

Take a bag big enough to carry everything you need. For me this includes a good pair of headphones, my phone, laptop, this month’s issue of Harper’s Bazaar, a pair of sunglasses and my wallet. If you prefer to travel light try a cute satchel with easy access to your boarding pass and driver’s license.

Remember, the airport is not the gym, but it’s not impossible to look cute and be comfy at the same time. I believe in all of you flight-bound fashionistas to restore the standard of airport fashion.

Jessica lives her life at several speeds. She talks too fast, eats too slow and over-analyzes too much.  When she’s not telling long-winded stories, sitting alone at the dinner table, or staring off into space, Jessica loves all things creative. Screenwriter, play director and poet at age 9, songwriter and choreographer at age 16, now, at 23, all she really wants to do is write, help others, and post Instagrams.  As a social media coordinator for multiple fashion brands, and a post-grad writer for Her Campus, she gets to do just that. Jessica is a Midwestern girl from the suburbs of Chicago, but she fell in love with city living during a summer internship in the Big Apple, and now calls NYC home. Jessica loves chocolate milkshakes, dance parties, Chippewa Ranch Camp, Friends re-runs, Chuck Bass and of course, spending time with her fans (read: family and friends).