This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Emory chapter.

The average American female height is 5 foot 5 inches tall… I measure up to an even 4 foot 10 inches on a good day. I have been short my whole life, so I’ve got 20 years of building up a love/hate relationship with my height. And while it can be super easy to focus on the negatives, there are a lot of things that 

I love about being short that I don’t take time to appreciate!

1. Airplanes

Flying is generally an uncomfortable situation for all involved, but when you’re short it’s a little bit less uncomfortable. I’ve never had to worry about needing extra legroom, and when others are still trapped in their seats after the plane lands, I am free to stand up and stretch. Also, flight attendants, and even random strangers, always take pity on me and help me lift my carry on into the overhead!

2. Counter Climbing

Others may see this as a negative, but it’s something that I’ve always loved. Climbing to reach those upper cabinets honestly just makes me feel like Spider-Man. I mean, who else has permission to climb on the kitchen counters as a 20-year-old adult??

3. Hide and Seek

I was the master of hide and seek as a child, and I’m sure I could still dominate now. Kitchen cabinet? Easy. Dryer? Dangerous, but can do. Laundry basket? Piece of cake. 

4. Front of Photos

Being short gives you an immediate excuse to always be seen in group photos. Simply yell out, “short people to the front!” and you’ll have a one-way ticket to the front of the pack.

5. Height Differences

When you’re as short as I am, the majority of the population is going to be taller than you, which makes for some cute, and definitely funny, height differences. It also means that your significant other will basically always be taller than you, no matter their gender. Men, no need to feel insecure about putting your height in your dating profile, because you’re always tall to me! 

6. Heels

If I’m ever feeling especially short, the quickest solution is to throw on a pair of heels. Heels come in so many styles: wedges, pumps, boots, stilettos, the options are endless! So whether you want to dress up or look casual, a pair of heels can give you those extra couple inches to help you take on the world.

7. Eternal Youth

While this one can definitely be annoying, I know that I will appreciate it one day! Bring short generally just gets equated with being young, which means that “cute” and “adorable” are words I hear a lot, for better or worse. But I know that 20 years from now, being mistaken for someone younger will be a positive! 

Delaney is an English major who can be bribed with good books and good tea. When she's not studying, you can find her cuddling with her dogs and listening to Hozier. She describes herself as a mixture of Leslie Knope from Parks and Recreation and Erin from The Office, and is a lover of all things Fall.
Hong Kong born and raised, Manishka is widely known for two things – her clumsiness and her ability to spend hours laughing at her own jokes! When she’s not busy trying to find out how she got her latest bruise, she can usually be found eating an avocado, while re-watching Gossip Girl for the 6th…no… 7th time! Her hobbies include raiding the fridge, stalking Doug the Pug on Instagram and trying to find out the secret ingredient in Krabby Patties.