2012 and 2013 ISC Presidents, Camille Sheppard and Lauren Browning

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Emory chapter.

On bid day 2013, Camille Sheppard passed over the responsibilities of president of Emory’s Intersorority Council to Lauren Browning. HCE interviewed both girls in order to get a behind-the-scenes look at ISC.

Camille Sheppard/2012

Camille, a senior from Jacksonville, Florida studying history and sociology, is a member of Alpha Delta Pi and has participated in ISC since her sophomore year. She served as her sorority’s pan-hellenic representative and enjoyed becoming more involved on campus. We asked Camille to specifically discuss the recruitment process. She says she was very happy with the way things went this year, and congratulated Vice President of Recruitment, Jordan Krant, for her efforts in keeping things running smoothly.

Due to the larger freshmen class (470 girls signed up for rush) and successful fall recruitment programs (including Novemberfest and Sorority 411), more women participated in recruitment than ever before. Moreover, Sigma Delta Tau did not participate in recruitment, leaving only 6 houses for the potential new members to join. As a result, the pledge classes nearly doubled in size. In response, Camille says, “Obviously this is a large adjustment for the chapters, but this should be seen as a positive step for Greek life at Emory to continue to expand.” Camille is excited to see what the new ISC executive board will do this coming year, and has high hopes for newly elected president, Lauren. She also hopes to stay connected to ISC’s plans, and help whenever she can.

Lauren Browning/2013

Lauren, a junior b-schooler and member of Kappa Alpha Theta from Barrington, RI, became involved with ISC her sophomore year when she served as VP of Programming. Before discussing her plans as the new president of ISC, Lauren took a moment to reflect on ISC’s most recent event, recruitment. She shared that 80% of girls received bids to houses, a significant increase from last year’s placement percentage of 65%. In addition, more girls “maximized their options” by signing bids after preferential round, which is another reason why more bids were given out this year.

As for her plans for this year…Lauren hopes to more effectively unite the four greek governing bodies (Intersorority, Interfraternity, National Pan-Hellenic, and Multinational Greek Councils). In addition, she is collaborating with IFC to create a sexual assault initiative in order to “educate the Greek community about what to look out for when going out at night and to prevent sexual assault from happening in the Emory community.” Moreover, Lauren and members of the ISC executive are planning a women’s health and leadership program that will occur this semester. In terms of recruitment, ISC plans on creating a website that will provide useful information, such as registration instructions and important dates, for potential new members and sorority women to refer to. Lastly, ISC would like to organize a Greek Week that will occur during the fall semester.

Jessica lives her life at several speeds. She talks too fast, eats too slow and over-analyzes too much.  When she’s not telling long-winded stories, sitting alone at the dinner table, or staring off into space, Jessica loves all things creative. Screenwriter, play director and poet at age 9, songwriter and choreographer at age 16, now, at 23, all she really wants to do is write, help others, and post Instagrams.  As a social media coordinator for multiple fashion brands, and a post-grad writer for Her Campus, she gets to do just that. Jessica is a Midwestern girl from the suburbs of Chicago, but she fell in love with city living during a summer internship in the Big Apple, and now calls NYC home. Jessica loves chocolate milkshakes, dance parties, Chippewa Ranch Camp, Friends re-runs, Chuck Bass and of course, spending time with her fans (read: family and friends).