Wellness

17 Things To Do at the Beginning of the Semester

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Emory chapter.

1. Make a reasonable schedule and stick to it – it’s a fresh start and you will be starting new classes and building a whole new routine around it so find what works for you and stick to it as best you can.

2. Try opening the textbook at least once – you paid for it, the least you could do is open it right? Try to see what you’re getting yourself into before Add/Drop/Swap is over.

3. Pay attention to the syllabus – just because there isn’t much going on the first week doesn’t mean you should be completely dozing off in class. Organize yourself for the semester and figure out a plan to tackle all those future exams and essays.

4. Introduce yourself to your professor – connections are important people I can’t emphasize this enough! The better the professor knows you the more understanding they will be and it can make a difference in the long run. 

5. Eat Breakfast, don’t skip it! – breakfast is more important than you think and even though a lot of people think they just don’t have the time it’s very much necessary. It will give you a boost to start off your day and help you stay focused and engaged in your classes.

6. Make connections with people in your classes – starting a new class can be intimidating at times, especially if you don’t know anyone else in your class but that’s a great opportunity to get to know more people. It’s especially important to have a friend in the class if you are interested in studying with other people or miss a day of class and need to catch up.

7. Engage in healthy habits – try to do things that will ultimately help you and get you to where you want to be. College is hard enough as it is so try to do things that will make you feel like your best self.

8. Get involved in extracurriculars you’re passionate about – it’s more than just a club or a sport, do something that re-energizes you and motivates you to do more and keep going!

9. Don’t procrastinate your first assignments – start off strong and get a rhythm going so you aren’t crammed with work later on!

10. Try to fit in time for exercise – don’t forget about your physical well being!

11. Eat healthily and drink lots of water – try to stay away from junk foods and fountain drinks that will make you feel sick or tired, again try to engage in healthy habits and you will see better results throughout the semester

12. Limit your caffeine intake – I know a lot of people are super addicted to coffee but ultimately it isn’t the best thing for you if you’re having like 3 cups a day. It could be affecting your sleep schedule which then will make you feel even more tired the next day.

13. Take time to spend with friends – this is pretty obvious but don’t isolate yourself, everyone is going through a lot of the same things you are and having a friend can change your experience.

14. Stay away from toxic people – if they are keeping you from your happiness then it’s best to leave them in your past.

15. Have a relaxing night to recharge – watch a movie or do a face mask, treat yourself!

16. Spend some time outside and get some fresh air – nothing like a bit of nature to make your day. The fresh air can be exactly what you need if you start to feel overwhelmed by everything.

17. Get a good night’s sleep on a daily basis – good sleep will help you get through the next day and hopefully improve your mood as well!

Veronica is a Senior at Emory University studying Neuroscience and Behavioral Biology on the pre-med track. She enjoys spending time with friends, family, and her dog Cody. Often can be found at Starbucks getting a strawberry refresher or as she likes to call it a big girl caprisun.
Hong Kong born and raised, Manishka is widely known for two things – her clumsiness and her ability to spend hours laughing at her own jokes! When she’s not busy trying to find out how she got her latest bruise, she can usually be found eating an avocado, while re-watching Gossip Girl for the 6th…no… 7th time! Her hobbies include raiding the fridge, stalking Doug the Pug on Instagram and trying to find out the secret ingredient in Krabby Patties.