The 11 Things You’ll Need to Survive Music Midtown

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Emory chapter.

1. A fanny pack

If you’re wearing a fanny pack, you’re in true festival fashion. They’re convenient, stylish, and they keep people from dipping their hands into your valuables. Almost every retailer sells them, including Target, so pick out your favorite for style and practicality. 

2. A refillable water bottle 

I can’t say this enough: Atlanta is hot and you need water. Because it’s so valuable and people seriously need to replenish when they sweat, prices are through the roof. If you take your own water bottle (empty, of course, unless you want to fight with security), you’ll avoid the skyrocket prices and stay hydrated. 

3. Cashless activation

This is something you can’t bring, but you should consider. Music Midtown is offering cashless experiences, so if you can, link your card and avoid bringing a wallet altogether. While it reduces the amount you’ll need to bring, keep in mind you’ll still be spending money even though you won’t be physically handing it over. 

4. Glitter

What’s a music festival without glitter? In the times of Euphoria, we’re all serving looks and if you want to keep up in the beauty game, there’s nothing that’s off-limits. Go hard or go home. 

5. Sunscreen

Don’t get me wrong, everyone loves some sun-kissed skin with a bronzed glow that makes you look like a beach goddess. What you won’t love, however, is when the sun burns your skin into oblivion and you spend the next week painfully navigating sports bras and t-shirts. Stay smart, protect your skin. 

6. Sunglasses

Along the same lines, your eyes might not be able to handle the constant sunshine. If you can find a cute pair of sunnies, you’ll be able to protect your eyes and avoid the wrinkles that come with squinting. 

7. Hand sanitizer 

Okay, maybe this is just a “me” thing, but I’m personally repulsed by the lack of hygiene that takes place over a weekend in a park. While we all know porta-potty sinks are ~perfect~, consider bringing your own mini-hand sanitizer just for the extra protection against sweat, dirt, and germs from all the strangers around you. 

8. A portable charger

After hours of pictures and filming, your phone is going to be shot. While I’ve always been a firm supporter of disconnecting from our technology, a packed festival is not the place to try it. Not only will you not be able to call an Uber/Lyft but you’ll also be stranded if you lose your pals at any point. You can find them small enough to fit in your fanny pack and you’ll likely be a popular friend for people to snag a charge from. 

9. Berkanan

Along the lines of safety, this app will blow your mind. This is a messenger that sends and receives messages using BlueTooth rather than data/internet. With so many people in one place, you might have a hard time connecting and accessing iMessage, texting, Snapchat, Uber, Lyft, or whatever else you need. 

10. A disposable camera

This might be an obnoxiously trendy thing, but I think that pictures on film look better than digital copies. The cameras are cheap, the photos make awesome wall art, and you’ll be on-trend. 

11. A protein bar

Activity throughout the day is going to wear you out. While you should try the food from the awesome vendors they have, don’t forget to eat as necessary. If you start to feel dizzy, nauseous, or light-headed from what you think is heat and excitement, have a snack; it might be your blood sugar dropping (it happens to everyone under certain circumstances). 

Maddy Knight is a senior in Emory's College of Arts and Sciences with a double major in Spanish and Linguistics. She plans on attending law school once graduating. Maddy likes all animals with fur, spending time with her friends and family, and has been writing for Her Campus since high school. 
Hong Kong born and raised, Manishka is widely known for two things – her clumsiness and her ability to spend hours laughing at her own jokes! When she’s not busy trying to find out how she got her latest bruise, she can usually be found eating an avocado, while re-watching Gossip Girl for the 6th…no… 7th time! Her hobbies include raiding the fridge, stalking Doug the Pug on Instagram and trying to find out the secret ingredient in Krabby Patties.