This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Emmanuel chapter.

Unless you’ve been living under a rock for the last couple of weeks, you have probably heard Lil Nas X’s newest song, MONTERO (Call Me By Your Name) and seen the music video. Middle America is up in flames about it, and one of my favorite hobbies has quickly become watching far-right figureheads attack Lil Nas X on Twitter only to watch him make some hilarious and witty comeback. 

Lil Nas X is unapologetically queer, Black, and himself. That is what is so incredible about the release of his newest music video, which features him pole-dancing down to hell and giving Satan a lap dance.

The video begins with Nas lounging in the Garden of Eden, adorned in crystals. He then moves through various scenes featuring gorgeous iconoclastic imagery, until ultimately he is stoned by different versions of himself and then condemned to hell. He arrives there through an unbelievable scene of him pole-dancing, then ultimately lands and gives Satan a lap dance, breaks his neck, and steals his horns, concluding the video by putting them on his head and thus embracing his own “evil.” 

This music video is one of the most important pieces of media that has been released recently. As a representative of the LGBTQ+ community within the music industry, Lil Nas X demonstrates his religious trauma and previous inability to accept his sexuality through an art form that spoke to millions and has since topped the charts. 

“Call Me By Your Name” represents the struggle that many within the LGBTQ+ community endure when coming to terms with their own sexualities, and the religious guilt and trauma that many suffer through before feeling as though they are safe to reveal their true identities. I hope that growing up with iconic queer idols such as Lil Nas X helps those who may have previously felt unsafe coming out to their loved ones finally feel empowered to do so and live their truth as they please. 

If you had any doubts about what the gay agenda is, I hope this cleared it up for you ;) Go stream MONTERO (Call Me By Your Name)!

Kailey is currently a senior at Emmanuel College in Boston, Massachusetts. She is a Writing, Editing, & Publishing and Communications & Media Studies double major and hopes to one day enjoy writing as her profession. In her spare time, she enjoys reading, writing, exploring Boston, and spending time with any dog she can find.
Carly Silva

Emmanuel '21

Carly is a senior at Emmanuel College pursuing a major in English Writing, Editing, and Publishing, as well as Communications and Media Studies. She loves to write and has a particular fondness for poetry. Carly also loves reading on the beach, playing music, and hanging out with her dog, Mowgli.