Why Latinas Dread Valentine’s Day

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Emmanuel chapter.

It is not an exaggeration to say that every Latinx dreads Valentine’s Day. It is not simply “El Dia de los Enamorados,” (Day of Lovers) or “El Dia de Amor y Amistad” (Day of Love and Friendship), it is the day that you will be asked “Y tu novio?” about 10 billion times…

The funny thing about Hispanic families is that although you are technically not allowed to date until you are old enough to qualify for assisted living, they are oddly obsessed with your love life especially when it comes to thinking about future nietesitos.

Not to mention that your abuela, your tia and your mom’s friend’s cousin’s sister all want to know why you’re not dating anyone when you’re obviously so gorgeous. Um… me too Tia, me too.

But say by a super rare Valentine’s Day miracle you manage to get yourself a Valentine. The constant, never ending teasing will kill you.

And don’t think that just because your Valentine is new to the family they won’t be teased too because believe me, they will be. The only reason they won’t burst out of your home in tears is because they’ll most likely roast him/her in Spanish…

Although your family may drive you crazy, especially when you want to hide and feel bad about your singleness, they will always be there for you when you need them. Hopefully, with a box of chocolates and a gigantic home cooked meal.   

I'm only helpless when my nails are drying ;) 
Gianna is a freshman at Emmanuel College and is really excited to see what this year has in store for her. Along with writing for Her Campus, Gianna participates in Yoga Club, Zumba Club, and Colleges of the Fenway Dance Project. In her free time, you will most likely find her watching Friends and sipping tea out of her Central Perk mug.