This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Emmanuel chapter.

The X-Files is a science fiction show that follows FBI agents Fox Mulder and Dana Scully as they solve cases of the paranormal, supernatural, and generally unexplained. It is one of my favorite shows, and since it’s on Hulu, here’s six reasons everyone should give it a watch. 

1. It’s a classic!

The X-Files was on air from 1993 until 2002, and had revival seasons in 2016 and 2018. It has truly embedded itself in pop culture with conspiracy theory themes, skepticism around both aliens and the government, and more lighthearted science fiction tones. It’s a cult classic and for good reason—it’s a great show. Believe me. Go watch it.

2. It has a great leading cast

Gillian Anderson and David Duchovny play Dana Scully and Fox Mulder with gusto, bringing out the best in each other in both comedic and gravely serious scenes. The two have great chemistry, whether their characters are in a platonic or romantic stage of their relationship, and they create an iconic pairing. The watchability of the series comes from their vivid portrayals of the characters who are imperfect, relatable, and interesting.

3. It’s great for casual watching

While the show does have an overarching plot-line about government conspiracies and extraterrestrials, a majority of the show follows a “Monster of the Week” format, so you can pick up anywhere and understand what you’re watching. I rarely watch it in order, unless Hulu is generously autoplaying episodes, but it’s fun to read episode descriptions until you find one that suits your mood. There may be small aspects of the longer plot that pop up for a second, but not enough to ruin the MOTW plot of the episode.

4. It’s also addictive

I will watch tons of episodes of this show in a row; they’re easy to watch, not super long, diverse in their content, interesting, and just generally fun. You don’t need to keep watching to solve a cliffhanger, but the tone of the show urges you to continue for the intrigue of more sci-fi content.

5. She’s got range

You want a show that’s funny? X-Files. That’s scary? X-Files. A drama? X-Files. Murder mystery crime solving? X-Files. Predictable ending? X-Files. Completely unpredictable ending? X-Files. Aliens? Ghosts? Urban Legends? X-Files, X-Files, X-Files. It’s all there, baby, and it’s all great.

6. It’s just, like, really good

Go watch it.

Sarah Revis

Emmanuel '23

Sarah is a senior English Communications major at Emmanuel College. She enjoys reading, embroidery, baking, and listening to an unreasonable amount of folk rock.