This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Emmanuel chapter.

I have had the opportunity to student teach this semester, and I absolutely am having the time of my life in doing so. I teach English to juniors in high school and they are so amazing. I have such a deep appreciation for them and they help me love what I do even more. With this being said, they absolutely say some unhinged things to me which I find absolutely hilarious and had to share. Without further ado, here are some of my favorite things my kids have told me.

1. “You know what will help with insomnia, Miss? The devil’s lettuce. Or, ya know, melatonin.”
  2. “If you took better care of your hair I think it would be curly.”
  3. “Hey, can you dab for me next class just randomly? I think it’d be funny.”
  4. “Miss, I think you’re funny I really like your sense of humor, it’s just awkward which makes it better.”
  5. Me: “What can you tell about the characters from this line?” Student: “That Bob has IBS.”
  6. This isn’t even a quote. I just had a student create an entire powerpoint as to why they don’t like Madison Beer because they found out I was going to her concert.
  7. “For this question I put you down as my least favorite movie character.” – Said by a student who also wrote on a sticky note that I cannot leave and legally need to stay there as his teacher.
  8. “I can tell you a really good place to get espresso martinis.” – Said by 16-year-old
  9. “Miss, you’re a liar we all know you’re engaged and 26.” (as I am single and 21)
  10. “I’m using your words against you since you said there’s no wrong answer, I am going to include the most incorrect answer and include evidence.” – Said by a student who actually found really good evidence for his case.

I narrowed it down to 10 because I could go on and on about all of the funny things these kids have said to me. All in all, I will miss them SO much and can’t believe my time with them is coming to a close so soon. They helped me truly know my passion for teaching and embrace it. I owe them so much and I’m so grateful for them to be my first classroom experience.

Alyssa Martin

Emmanuel '22

Alyssa is currently a senior at Emmanuel College with a major in English Secondary Education. You can find her writing poetry, doing yoga, or binging one of her comfort shows.