This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Emmanuel chapter.

Spooky season is officially upon us and you know what that means; it’s time to grab your closest friends, go to the store for some of those little pumpkin sugar cookies, and snuggle up on the couch for a Halloween movie marathon. But with so many festive films to choose from, where do you begin? Lucky for you I am here to breakdown every movie that should be on your marathon list this October, from festive and fun to jump-out-of-your-seat scary.  

It’s the Great Pumpkin Charlie Brown (1966)

Start with this timeless classic to get into the Halloween spirit. Join the Peanuts gang on their festivities of trick-or-treating and awaiting the arrival of the mystical “great pumpkin,” in this nostalgic animated television special, guaranteed to make you smile. 

Scream (1996)

An average town is shaken by the presence of a masked killer in Scream. This film follows the mystery of uncovering ghost face, in a suspenseful and slightly satirical take on the horror genre. It’s a cult classic and a must-watch this, and every Halloween season.

Photo courtesy of aliexpress.com 

The Shining (1980)

It’s time to up the fear factor with, in my opinion, the best horror movie of all time. The Shining has it all, creepy bloody ghost girls, an ax bearing misogynistic father, a clairvoyant little boy, a haunted hotel, and a bad-ass wife who isn’t afraid to swing a bat at her crazy, possessed husband. With its eerie camera work and chilling soundtrack, this movie will have you on the edge of your seat. 

Coraline (2009)

Although Tim Burton’s Coraline is technically a children’s movie, its plot, revolving around a young girl who finds a hidden door leading to an alternate version of her world, is portrayed in a way that will leave you feeling disturbed. The gangly stop-motion characters with buttons for eyes, combined with a dark yet magical setting creates a terrifyingly beautiful film that is the perfect addition to your spooky movie marathon. 

Photo courtesy of indiewire.com 

It (2017)

What’s Halloween without a creepy clown or two? This remake of the original film adaptation of the novel by Stephen King is the scariest movie on this list. However, despite countless jump scares and a dancing clown, the backdrop of a group of young friends coming together to save their town from evil is quite heartwarming, making It the perfect film to watch with your besties. 

Halloween (1978)

Finally, it’s time to wrap up your movie marathon on Halloween night with, of course, Halloween. The film’s bone-chilling musical theme and white mask of the crazed serial killer, Micheal Myers, have become iconic symbols of the holiday, so it would be a crime against Halloween not to include it. 

Photo courtesy of fgrue-morgue.com 

Her Campus Emmanuel
Carly Silva

Emmanuel '21

Carly is a senior at Emmanuel College pursuing a major in English Writing, Editing, and Publishing, as well as Communications and Media Studies. She loves to write and has a particular fondness for poetry. Carly also loves reading on the beach, playing music, and hanging out with her dog, Mowgli.