This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Emmanuel chapter.

Hozier is the well-known summoner of woodland creatures and the curator of amazing songs that make every listener feel like a deep and ancient part of the earth. Naturally, his songs are perfect to listen to every time the cold weather starts to roll around. While anything from his discography would serve as an incredible addition to your fall playlist, there are a few specific songs that perfectly capture the aura of what autumn is supposed to feel like.  

“Like Real People Do” 

Starting off strong, every note of this song oozes that indescribable feeling of fall. That seemingly unattainable feeling of being alone in the woods. Being bundled up on the rickety porch of a little wooden cabin with the chilly air against your skin, watching the rain drizzle onto the mosaic of red and yellow leaves that have covered the ground. This song is just so simple and raw that I would not hesitate to consider it the perfect autumnal song. 

“Jackboot Jump” 

Because this song is so political, it is the perfect anthem for every November. This is a more upbeat song and will without a doubt leave you feeling like the heroine of every dystopian novel. If you don’t know what a jackboot is before listening (me too, don’t worry) I recommend doing a quick Google search because it changes the entire meaning of the song. Do you want the most politically rebellious parts of your mind to be at the forefront this fall? Then this is the song for you. 

“No Plan” 

This song has the cold feeling of late fall. Where all of the trees are naked and all of the leaves have fallen and have started to decompose. It feels like the cusp between fall and winter where the first snow is going to come any day and where there are fewer hours of sunlight every day. While that might sound dreadful and dreary, Hozier wrote this song in such a way that even this time of year sounds desirable. 

“It Will Come Back” 

Whether you are mourning the loss of the warm weather and want to take this title literally or you are just looking for an amazing new fall song, this one can be added directly to the playlist. This song is best listened to alone on a leisurely nature walk surrounded by almost bare trees, preferably while stepping on crunchy leaves.  

“NFWMB” 

This song sounds so melancholy if you don’t listen to the lyrics but as soon as you put actual meaning to the words that Hozier is singing, it becomes so much more powerful. This is a great song to make the listener feel very powerful and confident in a low-key way which seems very fitting for fall.  

An argument could be made for any of Hozier’s songs to be added to this list. These are just the ones that, in my opinion, scratch that persistent itch for fall music every single time!

Sofia Wise

Emmanuel '25

Sofie is a freshman at Emmanuel College and is working towards a major in Sociology and a minor in Spanish. She loves to run, hike, read, and write in her free time. Her main goal is to see as much of the world as she can!