Culture > News

To My Friends Not Voting: I Am Mad At You

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Emmanuel chapter.

Originally I wanted to title this How I Feel About My Non-Voting Non-Political Friends, but I am not sugar coating the seriousness of this issue. And the truth is, I am mad. But mainly, I am confused. Why are young people not voting? Why are women not voting? Why are people whose rights are at risk not voting? When people choose not to vote, their anger and shock at what happens in our country loses their validity and soundness. And I want to highlight the word choose; there is a world of differences between not being able to vote and choosing not to vote. If you choose not to exercise your right to make change then don’t be surprised when change doesn’t happen.

It may sound stupid, cliche, or even false but every vote matters. Regardless of who wins in an election, votes make a statement and a difference. They help sway the power and influence of the people on a ballot or thinking about adding their name to a ballot. They confirm the public opinion on specific issues. They indicate the views of counties, states, and regions. People need to understand the effect of a vote doesn’t solely concern the present, but also the future, and though the past never changes, the people in charge influence how it is remembered and retold.  

As a biracial girl that grew up in predominantly white, conservative, upper middle class towns, I understand the importance of who we allow to hold titles of power. Without a diverse panel of leaders, there is no conversation, there is no chance at equality for all, there is no chance for social fairness or accountability. Kids being raised in towns where there aren’t leaders that look like them or fight for them start to believe that no one will fight for them. In the conservative towns I grew up in, I have had the blessing of finding friends that share similar thoughts and values as me. We have had lengthy discussions of uncomfortable topics, political policies, and what changes we hope to see in this country. Those same friends that I take comfort in talking to aren’t voting, and I just don’t get why. 

I have talked to a handful of my friends to try and understand what is stopping them from voting. When I asked their reasoning on why they haven’t voted or even considered it, most said their parents never talked to them about voting, how to register, or even what the politics of their state are. One friend, who I truly appreciate, said she understands why I am mad and that it is totally valid. That same friend is now registered to vote for future elections. Other friends seem to be upset that I want them to vote, or that I am asking why they don’t. 

Here is what I would like my non-voting friends and everyone else who isn’t voting to know: you are unbelievably selfish. I do not care if that is harsh or hurtful, it is the truth; you are being selfish. To my friends, if you think I am asking you to vote to help yourself, you are being ignorant. Climate change, abortion rights, gun laws, immigration, affordable housing, LGBTQ+ rights, and so much more are on the ballot every election, but especially during this one. Almost all my friends are white and middle to upper middle class. I am asking you to consider the loss of rights that minorities and other social groups are facing; vote for them. And if you can’t do that, that’s sad, but then think about yourself. To all my girl friends, you are so close to losing your reproductive right and having no sexual health security; to all my friends in the LGBTQ+ community, your safety and autonomy is being attacked; and to my friends of any identity, your life is constantly at risk because guns are being handed to anyone that wants one. If you do have the capacity to let go of your selfishness, use your vote for those who can’t. Represent the people who are experiencing voter suppression, who are incarcerated, who are not able to access their polls or obtain government ids, etc. 

I vote because our country and world are in too much turmoil not to. I vote for the protection of my reproductive rights. I vote so I can have a leader that will advocate for me and my family who are people of color. I vote for my safety against sick people and their guns. There is a long list of why I am voting, and there is no one who doesn’t have a reason to vote. 

This article is coming out later than I originally planned, so the election has passed. I am so happy about all the wins and all the young people that came out to vote. This will not be the last election, and this will not be the last time we see basic rights being put on our ballots. But with that said, every election and every vote matters. If in the next election nothing about your lifestyle or identity is being attacked or oppressed, that does not mean you lose the reason to vote. Always vote. Vote for you, for your family, for minorities, for those experiencing voter suppression, and especially to counteract the votes you disagree with. Please keep voting. 

Dora Berensmann

Emmanuel '25

I am currently a sophomore attending Emmanuel College. I currently major in graphic design. I am passionate about social justice, art, music, entertainment, and being outdoors