This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Emmanuel chapter.

Thanksgiving is almost here! I am sure we are all becoming very excited to see our loved ones whom we haven’t seen in a while around the dinner table. However, that just means the dreaded conversations about politics and strong opinions are also coming up upon us. I don’t know about you, but I really do not want to hear about what is happening at Capitol Hill while trying to enjoy my mashed potatoes. I’ll partake in a lighthearted conversation, as might you, so here are some conversation starters and subject changers to propose at the table this upcoming holiday. 

Conversation prompts: 

• Ask a couple at the table to tell their love story.
  • Ask about childhood memories, or what people miss most about their childhood.
  • Give a detailed explanation on why you are thankful this year.
  • Ask the people at the table if they’ve started celebrating Christmas, or are they waiting until the dinner is over?

Questions for discussion : 

• What came first, the chicken or the egg? 
  • Is water wet? 
  • If you could go anywhere in the world tomorrow, where would you go?
  • What season is the best?
  • Which is better, Marvel or DC?
    • Who’s the best Batman/Spiderman based on their answers
  • Which is better, Coca-Cola or Pepsi?
  • Aliens, are they real? Ghosts?
  • Were Ross and Rachel really on a break? (Friends) 
  • Has streaming improved or ruined the experience of a TV show? 
  • Best boyband? 
  • What is the best generation? 

What is something popular or trending right now that annoys you? What is one that you love? 

Maryssa Crosier

Emmanuel '27

Hey! I am Maryssa and I am an elementary education/liberal studies double major! I am a first year at Emmanuel College with plans to graduate in 2027. In my free time I love to listen to music, read, and explore Boston!