taylor swift text message lyric 3
taylor swift text message lyric 3
Original photo by Anna Dao

Taylor Swift Lyrics That Make Me Feel Things

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Emmanuel chapter.

I know we all know how Taylor Swift has the ability to write such a beautiful range of emotions throughout her discography. Going from heart-wrenching sobbing on the floor to I have so much serotonin I don’t know what to do with, she really does it all. Without further ado, I have compiled two lists that are at one end of the spectrum or the other. Enjoy!

Heart-wrenching songs

(No I will not be putting “Soon You’ll Get Better” because every lyric in that song breaks me)

1. “All Too Well”

I know you didn’t think that I would start off this list with any other song besides this one. The particular lyric I’m talking about is “and you call me up again just to break me like a promise so casually cruel in the name of being honest.” The bridge in this song is so raw and emotional and even if I’m in the best mood this line will always ruin me.

1. “August”

Now, this is my absolute favorite song of hers and it reminds me of summer and things that could be different. The lyric that absolutely breaks me has to be: “Back when we were still changin’ for the better wanting was enough for me, it was enough.” You can just hear and listen to the yearning in these lines on how things should and could have been so different. 

1. “The Best Day”

This song isn’t necessarily sad, but it just makes me nostalgic for when things were simpler and I didn’t have so much anxiety surrounding what will happen next. The lyric that always brings a tear to my eye is “ it’s the age of princesses and pirate ships and the seven dwarfs and Daddy’s smart and you’re the prettiest lady in the whole wide world.” This one always hurts the most because I miss when this was all I had to worry about and life was as simple as playing pretend and just knowing my parents are always there and are heroes. 

1. “Marjorie”

After losing my grandma in January, this song has hurt me more than ever. I always think that I can get through listening to it and then I hear “I should’ve asked you questions I should’ve asked you how to be.” This is always how I will feel because even though I would hang out with her, I will never have done it as much as I could. This is a beautiful ode to her grandmother and I have taken it as an ode to mine.

1. “Death by a Thousand Cuts”

This song is a weird one because it brings me serotonin to absolutely shout the lyrics out, but if I’m alone and just listening to the words it cuts deep. What does it for me is “my time, my wine, my spirit, my trust trying to find a part of me you didn’t take up gave you too much but it wasn’t enough.” This just takes me back to any time I gave too much to someone who didn’t deserve any of my time at all.

Songs that boost my dopamine levels

1. “New Romantics”

Okay, this song is everything to me. I feel like it’s my anthem over half the time in any situation. The parts that bring me the most happiness aren’t any particular lyric but anytime she says “ah-ah-ah-ah-ah” and after she says “ace” with the little “ah.” I know this sounds insane to anyone who is reading and doesn’t know the song but listen to it once and you’ll know exactly what I mean.

1. “Jump Then Fall”

This song never did it for me until I heard Taylor’s Version and after that, it became a new favorite. My favorite lyric is “every time you smile, I smile and every time you shine, I’ll shine for you.” It’s so wholesome and adorable and I absolutely love everything about this song. I may or may not relate it to who I like and that’s FINE it’s truly no one’s business at all.

1. “Gorgeous”

Reputation is one of my top favorite albums and this song brings me so much joy. I keep not doing actual lyrics for this, but I feel like it’s more honest. The part I like the most is the very beginning when it says “gorgeous” and then leads into the song it just makes it so iconic.

1. “Dorothea”

Okay, this song gets a bad rep, but it’s so precious I absolutely love it. The part that is just so adorable is “And if you’re ever tired of being known for who you know you know, you’ll always know me.” It’s so WHOLESOME I would love for someone to think of me like that and just the pure innocent love that is radiating from this song brings me so much happiness.

1. Any song with her giggle

These are my favorite parts of her songs. Whether it’s in “Hey Stephen” or “Stay Stay Stay” they are always so cute and so precious and I absolutely adore them. They honestly deserve their own category because they are everything.

This was absolutely the most difficult list for me to write because any song can fit so perfectly in either category, but alas I had to narrow it down to five each to save my sanity. 

Alyssa Martin

Emmanuel '22

Alyssa is currently a senior at Emmanuel College with a major in English Secondary Education. You can find her writing poetry, doing yoga, or binging one of her comfort shows.