This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Emmanuel chapter.

Over the summer, I began my first fully remote position when I was hired for my internship in Washington, D.C. While some of the employees were hybrid or able to work in the office, I was working out of my childhood home right outside of Boston. As someone who spent over a year of my college experience fully online I thought I was well-prepared for what a fully remote job would entail – but it was a completely different experience than taking my classes on Zoom.

Working from home definitely comes with a lot of benefits, but getting situated also meant relearning my work style. Here are some lessons I have learned from my experience that I wish I had known going into my job that may have made the transition a little easier! 

The Importance of Having a Routine

One mistake I made in the beginning of my internship was waking up and immediately hopping onto my computer before my shift started to get ready for the day. Now that I have been working remotely for several months, I have found myself getting into a morning routine that helps me center myself for the day ahead and at the end of the day helps with my mental health. The act of having a routine also combats the burnout that people can experience after staring at a screen all day. My go-to routine in the morning is to wake up early before my shift, shower, pick out a nice outfit rather than stay in PJs (which can be tempting when working from home), and try to make myself a coffee and a nutritious breakfast. Having the breakfast and coffee at my desk while I work makes the beginning of my day much more enjoyable and helps prepare me for the tasks ahead!

Allowing Yourself Time for a Break

In a regular office or work environment, you usually have a scheduled break to eat lunch and step away from the computer. When working from home, I’ve realized that there is no scheduled time to take a step back from your work. What I’ve found works best for me is around lunch time, I will go into my kitchen and make something for lunch or order something and eat it away from my computer to give myself time to breathe. It is important to give yourself time to recuperate, otherwise you might be turning in work that doesn’t reflect the best of your capabilities! 

Having Open Communication with Coworkers 

Working remotely can feel isolating at times. As an extrovert myself, I found it difficult to be separated from everyone I work with and never get to see them face to face. The majority of the work I do is asynchronous, so my usual week only consists of a meeting or two on Zoom to have check-ins with supervisors and be assigned tasks. Something that has helped me a lot has been forcing myself to communicate often with my coworkers through email or Microsoft Teams. At first I felt slightly uncomfortable doing so over small questions I had, but it is actually a great way to build a relationship with someone you do not get the chance to speak to often! Have very open communication, make yourself available and friendly when possible, and don’t be afraid to ask questions!

Have a Dedicated Work Space 

Getting in the right headspace to get a lot of work done while in your own home can be challenging, but something that has really helped me has been having a dedicated work area. Having a designated space has helped me focus, avoid distractions, and overall make me more productive!

…. And Allow Yourself to Leave It!

Having that space to work in can be really helpful, but spending all day in your home can also get monotonous. I like to take one day a week to bring my work either to a local library or a café! I still get my work done, and the change of scenery helps motivate me more. It is a great way to avoid burnout and keep yourself feeling excited for the tasks at hand. 

Currently pursuing a Communications and Media Studies major and Marketing and Global and Public Health minor at Emmanuel College, with a specific interest in Healthcare Communications. 2021-22 Public Relations and Events Coordinator and 2022-23 President for the Emmanuel chapter.