This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Emmanuel chapter.

Photo credit: Perspectyve

As of this year, the American nonprofit brand Love Your Melon has raised over 4.7 million dollars through the sale of its apparel to help children battling cancer. Having only been in operation for the past six years, this is an impressive contribution.

Love Your Melon, commonly abbreviated LYM, began in 2012 as an idea formulated by two college students. The original goal was to give out 45,000 hats to pediatric cancer patients. Once that was achieved, a new goal to raise one million dollars for cancer research was made.

Through donating half of its profits, LYM has raised over a million dollars and has given over 147,000 hats to patients.

LYM created ‘Campus Crews’, an initiative to spread awareness for pediatric cancer to college students across America. Campus Crews established at any college can represent the brand at promotional events and participate in charitable activities.

Emmanuel College introduced the LYM Campus Crew just last year and gained a large interest. This year’s president of the Crew is junior Lauren D’Addario. Lauren plans to organize many events throughout the upcoming year in collaboration with other LYM Crews and Boston Children’s Hospital. Events to expect include visiting the children seeking care at Boston Children’s hospital and writing letters to patients on their birthdays.

Social Media and PR coordinator for the EC Campus Crew, junior Tory Dias, runs the Crew’s Twitter, Instagram, and Facebook. Follow @EmmanuelLYMCrew on any of these platforms to keep up with the Love Your Melon Campus Crew at Emmanuel and to see how you can get involved.

Jessica Lyons is a Senior at Emmanuel College and has been a member of HerCampus EC as both a writer and section editor. Her topics of interest include business (marketing), ethical living, and activism. 
Gianna is a freshman at Emmanuel College and is really excited to see what this year has in store for her. Along with writing for Her Campus, Gianna participates in Yoga Club, Zumba Club, and Colleges of the Fenway Dance Project. In her free time, you will most likely find her watching Friends and sipping tea out of her Central Perk mug.