Cynthia Nixon as “Miranda Hobbes,” Sarah Jessica Parker as “Carrie Bradshaw,” Kristin Davis as “Charlotte York.”
HBO Max

“Sex and the City” Review as Someone Watching For The First Time

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Emmanuel chapter.

The hit show Sex and the City aired in 1998, and has since become a staple show for audiences all over the world. The sitcom revolves around Carrie Bradshaw (Sarah Jessica Parker), a sex columnist, and her group of friends in their early 30’s navigating the world of dating, sex, and living in New York City. 

Sex and the City is a notably famous show, so I had obviously heard of the franchise before. For whatever reason, however, I had never really given the show a chance until I stumbled upon it recently on HBO Max. I had just run out of shows to watch and was looking for something new when I saw it on the home page, and my roommate had put it on our living room TV enough for me to have a growing interest in it. 

Despite feeling incredibly late to the program, I am having so much fun watching! As of now I am only about a season in and have watched some miscellaneous episodes here and there while my roommate has it on. The characters are all witty, on some level relatable, and just genuinely a joy to watch as they navigate the dating life of NYC. 

As a college senior about to enter into the real world, the struggles of the main group feel comforting in the sense that they affirm that nobody really knows how to navigate life, we’re all just making it up as we go along. 

It’s a great show to have on in the background while I’m doing homework, getting ready, or just want to watch something to decompress from the day. It is quickly becoming my friend group’s new comfort show because it’s one of those sitcoms you don’t have to watch too closely to know what’s going on, yet you still feel invested in the characters and the adventures they get up to. 

If you are looking for something new and, like me, you never really gave the show a chance – I would highly recommend giving it a watch!

Currently pursuing a Communications and Media Studies major and Marketing and Global and Public Health minor at Emmanuel College, with a specific interest in Healthcare Communications. 2021-22 Public Relations and Events Coordinator and 2022-23 President for the Emmanuel chapter.