Culture > News

Ruth Bader Ginsburg, a Legend Deserving of so Much More Honor Than This World has to Give

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Emmanuel chapter.

As a true legend and pioneer of women’s rights, RBG deserves all of the honor in the world and then some. She deserves at the very least her fervent wish not to be replaced until after a new president is installed. She deserves a candidate who will honor her legacy, not a candidate who will demolish it. 

RBG crusaded a new definition of what it means to be a woman in a position of political power, and while no one can truly replace her, a nominee so unworthy is outright disgraceful not only to her memory, but to womankind. 

Amy Barrett is certainly no Ruth Bader Ginsburg. While she may be a woman biologically, her Stepford wife representation for young women everywhere is frankly terrifying and incredibly disturbing.

Barrett, a conservative ready-with-the wrecking ball to demolish Roe v. Wade and The Affordable Care Act, if elected into the Supreme Court will not only undo decades of progress that Ruth Bader Ginsburg worked her entire life to achieve, but she will undoubtedly send us all ricocheting back to the 1950’s where internalized misogyny was disturbingly stylish.  

Trump’s cynical and insulting announcement on Sept. 19, to name Amy Barett to replace RBG sent a clear message to women everywhere: one of you is as good as the next. 

Women are not dispensable objects that can be replaced with cheap efforts, they are intelligent human beings worthy of the respect and equality that Ginsburg fought her entire life for. 

It’s important that RBG’s replacement be a candidate worthy of following in the footsteps of the late feminist icon as the Supreme Court Justice casts crucial votes that will affect women’s fundamental rights,  such as the right to her own body and access to affordable health care. 

Republicans would have us believe that bulldozing through Ginsburg’s replacement so close to the election is okay simply because the nominee is a woman. It’s not. The nomination of a woman in and of itself is not enough. 

A conservative woman who plays a puppet of the patriarchal puppeteers in office, preaching the words “abortion is always immoral” is not good enough. 

The fact that Barrett is a woman has no meaning if she does not support the causes representative of the march for gender equality, causes that Ginsburg championed for womankind. 

Make no mistake Mr. President: we are not dumb and the fight for gender equality will not pass on with the tragedy of Ginsburg’s death. Ginsburg’s army of gender rights crusaders are wide awake and they will not stop fighting.

Elise Kline

Emmanuel '20

Elise is currently studying as an undergraduate at Emmanuel College in Boston with a major in Communications & Media Studies. This is her third year with Her Campus and she is more than ready to adventure into another year of all things related to politics, social justice, empowerment, lifestyle and more! She loves writing, watching rom coms and kickboxing!
Carly Silva

Emmanuel '21

Carly is a senior at Emmanuel College pursuing a major in English Writing, Editing, and Publishing, as well as Communications and Media Studies. She loves to write and has a particular fondness for poetry. Carly also loves reading on the beach, playing music, and hanging out with her dog, Mowgli.