This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Emmanuel chapter.

Taylor has done it again, she has created a masterpiece that is beyond words. At midnight on Friday, October 21st, Taylor Swift released her tenth album titled Midnights. This album brings you through self doubt, hatred, the fight between love and war, and so much more. In my opinion, in order to get the best listening experience you need to listen to the album at least five times within twenty four hours of the release (not exaggerating). The first time you listen to the songs you begin to pick out which songs you liked instantly, then as you continue to listen you begin to realize why you chose it, if it was the beat or what the song is stating. Below is a list of my favorite songs, my feelings, and what I feel the song represents. 

Lavender Haze- This song gives the essence of a new generation of Swifties with the sentence, “Meet me at Midnight…” If Taylor is going to go on tour this will be her opening song with the same vibes as “…Ready for it?” The song depicts her relationship with Joe (her partner) and how the media wants to scrutinize her while she would rather hide behind the lavender haze. 

Maroon- Gives the vibes that it is an angry song about a past relationship. This song depicts an old love she thinks about in this color, specifically the color or their lips. There is much speculation that this song is either about Tom Hiddleston, Harry Styles, or Jake Gyllenhaal. It could be Tom Hiddleston due to the fact that in 2016 they danced together at the Met Gala in New York City, where this song is set. Many fans speculate Harry Styles because the song “Olivia” by One Direction and Maroon are similar, connecting the red wine. If you go even deeper with the idea of Harry Styles, he would most likely have a roommate due to the fact that the boys in One Direction lived together during the band’s performing years. I will be ignoring the fact that Jake Gyllenhaalwas ever brought up because even if it is him, he does not need to be named… like Voldemort. To be totally honest this is one of my top songs from the album and it stuck out to me as a solid second song. “Maroon” kind of caught me off guard, just like “Daylight” did the first time I listened to Harry Styles’ album which I absolutely adored from both of these singers. 

Anti-Hero- This song also has a music video connected to it which I absolutely adore. This song discusses the relationship with yourself and the words people use to describe you. She describes how the outside world loves to tear us down and we blame ourselves for this hatred rather than looking at where it comes from. Taylor Swift comes off as a confident woman who knows how to fight the media, but listening to this song shows how hard it pulls at her mental health. There is a section in which she discusses the future and people are more sad she’s gone so they can’t use her clout anymore than sad she herself is gone. 

Vigilante Shit– This song has a deep beat that could cut someone’s heart. Taylor knew exactly what she was doing with this revenge song. Many speculate this song is related to the Kanye West and Kim Kardashian divorce. We all know how awful Kanye has been to Taylor in the past and now she is able to dress for revenge regarding the situation. In the song one of her sentences is, “Now she gets the house, gets the kids, gets the pride. Now picture me thick as thieves with your ex-wife.” This really shows her metaphorically flipping off Kanye. 

Sweet Nothing- This song makes me happy every single time I listen to it. The beat reminds me of lullabies my mom would sing to me whenever I felt ill or was going through something. “Sweet Nothing” seems to me like a diary entry of a song where she opens her heart and puts it on paper. She describes her relationship with Joe Alwen, her current partner, in a wistful way that makes you hum the tune every time you listen to it. 

Taylor Swift went above and beyond with the album. Every time she releases an album it shows why she is one of the most influential singers of our time. Last week Taylor Swift released a music video for her song “Bejeweled” as well. In that music video there are a lot of Easter eggs to what is coming. The main speculation is the next Taylor’s Version album that will be released is Speak Now, so stay tuned for that masterpiece in the upcoming months!

Isabella Harris

Emmanuel '26

Hello! My name is Isabella; I am a student at Emmanuel College studying Elementary education! In my spare time, I love to go to concerts, read, listen to music, TRAVEL, and explore museums!