FAB3?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
FAB3?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
her campus media

Rejecting Consumer Culture

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Emmanuel chapter.

I myself have found that I can get caught within consumerist trends. It seems as though there is always a “next best thing.” Most influencers nowadays have an Amazon storefront; they promote all the products they use and then some. I have grown up always trying to achieve what they have. I watched all my friends buy the products and hand them down to me, and the cycle endlessly repeated. It’s not surprising though, that there is very little fulfillment in this cycle of the capitalist mindset. 

I’ve found myself comparing my life (as a broke college student) to that of someone like Alix Earle. In doing so, my life becomes more and more difficult over time to romanticize. I’ve found myself trapped in the mindset of “If only I had more money…” It’s a surprising trap I myself, along with others, have found myself in, considering that Boston makes (almost) every list of Top 10 Highest Cost of Living Cities in the United States. Along with this, it’s very common for those who rise to fame to be thin white women, and while this is not inherently bad, there’s a CLEAR lack of representation of all body sizes and races within the media. Our media culture has become so competitive and fast-paced; therefore, many struggle to conceptualize what their lives will look like without chasing the ideal. 

It’s being reported by Marketing Dive that 44% of Gen-Zers buy products because an influencer recommended them. It seems as though the market is being taken over by TikTokers.. But how reliable are they? I myself fell victim to purchasing the Kosas Concealer after an article came out about Hailey Bieber using it. Now, the company is being questioned by individuals with mold growing in their concealers! 

As I have been scrolling through my socials recently, I’ve found a new “de-influencing” trend on the rise. This trend revolves around newer creators coming forward in order to challenge consumer culture and influencers. Many find that influencers live unrealistic lifestyles and are choosing to spread awareness regarding that. The “deinfluencing” hashtag has had about 160 million views within the last 7 days, and the trend is only expected to increase. 

Many individuals who speak out against said “influencer culture” start at a base level of bashing products that TikTok convinced them to buy that did not live up to the hype. Others, however, started a larger conversation about overconsumption and the tendency to purchase things we do not need. The impact that influencers have had on the environment is immense. Think about all of the products cycling in and out of use… Think about it, how many dupes have you seen on your TikTok for your page? How many of those dupes just came out? Influencer culture has created an undeniable change in almost every industry. 

I personally believe this is a fascinating shift into more reality-based media. There are many using this time to promote their platforms based on sustainability. One user, The Thrifty Thinker, remarks: “Just because you love something doesn’t mean you need it in any color.” While others find the time to promote their own platforms: “All this to say, if you want me to try a product if I can afford it, I can buy it myself and give you my honest opinion about who I think would benefit.” While unintentional, some are led in a similar direction of creating a platform based on trying new trends and overconsuming products. 

With all this being said, for better or for worse the publicity on this issue was much needed. It’s very interesting to see which direction this will go in. I find that this is an ongoing issue, and it will be interesting to see how media and influencers evolve in order to meet the new wants and needs of the viewers.

Olivia Quercio

Emmanuel '25

Heyyy there!! Thanks for the click :) My name is Olivia Quercio and I use she/they pronouns.