Red (Taylor’s Version) is a Great Album Made Even Better

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Emmanuel chapter.

Taylor Swift has done it again. But is anyone really surprised? Well, if they are, they shouldn’t be. Throughout her career, Swift has proved time and time again that she is capable of only getting better. And her recent endeavor of rerecording her debut album through Reputation has proved to be a strong success.  

Red (Taylor’s Version) is composed of the sixteen original songs on the album, as well as the four bonus songs included in the deluxe version. The album is a glorious masterpiece of emotions, ranging from joy to anger to heartbreak and laughter. It is the ultimate fall album with just the right amount of spice. While the original album is practically word for word lyrically and very similar production-wise, Swift’s adult vocals add power. The album also includes songs such asRonan,” and “Babe,” which have been previously released but weren’t on the original album. In addition, Swift’s version of Little Big Town’s “Better Man” is also on the album. But the crowning jewels of the album are the seven unreleased songs added. These songs, including the long-awaited ten-minute version of “All Too Well,” take the original album to a whole new level of heartbreak and magic. 

“Nothing New” 

This collaboration with the beloved Phoebe Bridgers will pull on your heartstrings as much as any song ever could. It is a haunting ballad surrounding growing up and losing motivation. As beautiful as the two women’s vocals are, the song is incredibly raw. The aching pain of losing the feeling of bright, shiny optimism of yourself. It’s deeply emotional and will leave you in awe of how a song can capture a feeling so clearly. 

“Message in a Bottle” 

A contrast to “Nothing New,” this song is one of the most upbeat and fun on the album. It comes at the listener with a wave of 2000’s nostalgia. It is one of the more generic songs on the album, but it’s fun, sweet, and hopeful. The song leaves you wanting to dance around your room, and sing to your crush with hope for the future. 

“I Bet You Think About Me” 

The old Taylor can’t come to the phone? Where is she? Oh, she’s singing “I Bet You Think About Me.” Red was the last semi-country album from Swift before she made the complete shift to pop, but this song has that country twang from the first half of her albums. The genre of the song contributes to the story of the song, a woman singing about her experience dating a rich, high-society boy and the different worlds they came from. The track features artist Chris Stapleton whose voice blends well with Swift, albeit more in the background than anything else. 

“Forever Winter” 

Perhaps the most underrated of the unreleased songs but certainly shouldn’t be. The song itself is somewhat upbeat and fast-paced, but the lyrics and story they create are what make the track special. It is a heartbreaking, realistic, and encapsulating song about what it’s like to watch a loved one go through mental health struggles. 

“Run” 

In a way, “Run” almost feels like the big sister of “Everything Has Changed.” The second collaboration between Ed Sheeren and Swift is a sweet, soft love song. It encapsulates the feeling of wanting to leave the world behind and just be with your favorite person. 

“The Very First Night” 

Much like “Message in a Bottle,” this track is catchy and upbeat. However, the tempo and air of the song are a contrast to the lyrics that are deeper than one would expect from an upbeat track. It captures the feeling of missing someone and longing for the beginning of a relationship again. 

“All Too Well (10 Minute Version)” 

The original version of “All Too Well” has been one of the most beloved songs by Taylor Swift fans for years despite it never being a single. While the original version was already raw and tragic, the added five minutes makes all the difference. This version is angrier, detailed, broken, and leaves you feeling gut-wrenched throughout the entire thing. It is a lyrical masterpiece that barely lets you digest what one heartbreaking lyric says before it gives you the next one. Certainly, this version was worth the wait. 

Red (Taylors Version) is a musical masterpiece. The two-hour album takes you on a journey through an entire range of emotions. The songs fans know and love by heart were recreated beautifully and tastefully. And the new songs from the vault are the cherry on top of this already fantastic album.

Her Campus Emmanuel