This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Emmanuel chapter.

Meet Cedric! We adopted Cedric over a year ago and it was the best decision we could have made. Believe it or not, he is completely blind, has arthritis and is 10 years old! Here is why YOU should adopt a senior dog too!

1. They are low-key and chill

Just like humans, as dogs age, they become less energetic and wild! Having a senior dog means they aren’t constantly needing to be playing tug-of-war with you or jumping up and down on your legs! They are content with just laying down and relaxing for the day! This means less chaos and more relaxation for you! Cedric’s favorite thing to do is lay on the couch with us and listen to the TV, or take up an entire dog bed made for 3 dogs. How much easier can it get?!

2. You don’t have to walk them as much

On the topic of energy, senior dogs don’t need a daily run like a puppy or young dog does! The last thing you want to do is to be woken up by your puppy at 5 AM to bring them outside. Or, when you get home from a long day of work or school, the last thing you want to do is go to the park and have your dog run around when you just want to get into bed! So instead, you just need to let your senior dog out front or back for a quick bathroom break! And before you know it, you’re in for the night and ready for bed!

3. They’re already house broken

On top of not having to take them out as much as a puppy, senior dogs (with a few exceptions) are already house broken! So, you won’t come home to an accident on your kitchen floor! And, you don’t have to spend weeks training them to not go to the bathroom inside the house!

4. You can push them in a cute stroller

If you want to go on a walk but want to bring your senior dog along with you, bring the doggy stroller! Cedric can’t walk long distances because of his arthritis and the blindness slows him down! Everyone around town will know you because instead of a baby in the stroller, you have a dog. Check out the cute picture of Cedric in the stroller!

5. They often have had long and hard lives

Old dogs often end up abandoned in shelters because they are old. Cedric, for example, was found wandering the streets in Arkansas, all matted up and blind. He had an extremely rough life, but once he was rescued, they were able to fix him up and make him healthier. Unfortunately, there was nothing that could be done about him being blind since he wasn’t able to go to a vet as a stray. By adopting them, you are making their lives better so that they don’t end on a sad note.

6. They are in need of homes too!

As sad as it is, no one usually wants senior dogs. Most people want a cute and small puppy, not an old dog. But, these dogs need homes too!! People often put their old dogs up for adoption because they are sick of them or bored of them, which is beyond horrible. Senior dogs deserve just as much love as puppies do! Their age and the fact they may die sooner also pushes people away from being interested. Cedric had been in his foster home for months because no one wanted to adopt him due to his old age. But, why not make the rest of his life as amazing as it can possibly be?!

7. It’s a good deed

Adopting is something that makes your heart warm. Welcoming a dog into your home is one of the best feelings in the world -especially a senior dog who is usually skipped over at shelters and adoption fairs because of their age! It is horrible that they always get looked past. You can still make their lives great, no matter how old they are because every single dog deserves love.

Adopting a senior dog comes with lots of benefits! Cedric is the sweetest little old man and his life has been turned upside down in the best way possible.

You can find me in a dog shelter cuddled up with as many dogs as possible! Obsessed with all things dog related. Promoter of self-love and body positiveity! Freshman at Emmanuel College.
Gianna is a freshman at Emmanuel College and is really excited to see what this year has in store for her. Along with writing for Her Campus, Gianna participates in Yoga Club, Zumba Club, and Colleges of the Fenway Dance Project. In her free time, you will most likely find her watching Friends and sipping tea out of her Central Perk mug.