Preparing for the Stress of Finals Season

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Emmanuel chapter.

As we all have recently noticed, we have about a month left of our 2018 spring semester at Emmanuel. To some students, this is best news they have ever heard, while others (like myself) see the next month as the most stressful time of the year. I know that I sometimes become overwhelmed when looking at everything due in the next month, plus final exams. So, here are the top five things I do to keep myself afloat.

1. Stay Organized

I find that if I keep my room and binders clean and organized, I am able to focus my time on more important things like getting assignments done, rather than rummaging through all my disorganized papers. It also helps to look at your calendar for the month ahead. Make a list of the things you need to complete each week and check them off as they are done. Making a list definitely helps me clear my head of all my assignments, and allows me to focus on what exactly needs to be completed in each coming week.

2. Take a Break

I find that if I am staring at my computer screen for too long with writers block or too overwhelmed with my long list, I go for a quick walk off campus. Stepping away for your work can sometimes be best for both you and the assignment. Taking a walk will clear your head and give you the chance move your legs and take some deep breaths. I also find that if I ever need to get off campus for a little bit, I call a friend at another college, and we meet for coffee or Chipotle. This is incredibly helpful for myself because it gets my mind off my assignments and gives the chance to relax before sitting back down with the assignment.

3. Put A Face Mask On

I promise that this is satisfying and helpful. Sometimes when I’m working on an assignment in my room at night, I’ll wash off my makeup and put on a face mask. This will truly make you happy, because who doesn’t like a face mask and how it makes your face feel? Also, you’re multitasking! This is both an efficient and enjoyable way to complete homework at night, with a little less stress and more entertainment.

4. Make Time For Exercise

I know working out takes time out of your busy day, but sometimes it’s the time you need away from your laptop. Going to the gym makes you feel healthy and builds a clearer mind set for the day. Working out also makes you feel powerful and assertive, and gives you a confident attitude to handle the next step in your day.

5. Nourish Your Brain!

Eating healthy is a great way to keep your mind happy and focused. I know it is hard to eat all your vegetables and say no to ice cream, but putting foods like spinach, oranges, avocado, and dark chocolate in your diet will give your brain the nutrients it needs. Many people change their diets around this time of year because they know how good it feels to eat a nutritious diet in this stressful season. Having these healthy foods throughout the day will feed your brainpower  and motivate you to complete your work.

There are many more steps or ideas to help keep you focused and healthy when preparing for the finals season. As we move forward remember how important your health is! These five steps are extremely helpful for me, and I hope they help you too.

Olivia Orsino

Emmanuel '20

I am a Senior at Emmanuel College with a passion for writing.
Gianna is a freshman at Emmanuel College and is really excited to see what this year has in store for her. Along with writing for Her Campus, Gianna participates in Yoga Club, Zumba Club, and Colleges of the Fenway Dance Project. In her free time, you will most likely find her watching Friends and sipping tea out of her Central Perk mug.