Practicing Self-Love During Love Season as an Extremely Single 20 Year Old

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Emmanuel chapter.

February has just arrived and I don’t know about you, but I am feeling sad and very lonely. It is super depressing going out in public and seeing every single couple that ever exists out in public, too, holding hands. It just reminds me how single I am. So, to beat this awful feeling that I get every February, I have decided to focus on self-love this month. 

What’s been giving me energy every day this month has been physical activity. The idea of working out makes me feel sick to my stomach. There’s so much effort that goes into that but by the end of the day, after working out I feel fantastic. It is definitely an energy booster. This energy for me is seen through happiness. Any type of working out makes me feel so much happier than I was feeling before. It’s definitely a game changer for February. 

Another way I am practicing self-love during the love season is by reading. Reading has helped me feel more relaxed and less stressed this month. It calms my mind, which is usually running 100 miles per hour. It is nice to have some sense of relaxation. 

Finally, hanging out with friends is a form of self-love. This self-love practice is one of my favorites. Especially during the love season all I want to do is go on cute dates with a significant other. The only problem is that I am single. In reality though, I don’t need a partner to go on cute dates, I can go on cute dates with my friends. One thing I am excited about this February is going to a Galentine’s date with my roommates. This is perfect for lover season.

Self-love should not only be practiced during February. It is important to practice self-love every day of the year. This can be any form of physical activity, skin care, hanging out with friends, going on walks, or even cooking and baking. Let’s have fun this February!

Madeleine Graves-Witherell is a sophomore studying Communications and Media Studies. She recently has worked with multiple social media platforms, specifically Instagram and TikTok in marketing means. Madeleine is an activist for women's rights and social change. When she is not writing, she is listening to Vance Joy on repeat or reciting The Office quotes.