A Person Who Hates Traveling

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Emmanuel chapter.

Over the summer, I went abroad for three weeks to the most obscure country I could think of…India. If you are a person who knows me, you know I am a homebody. I love to snuggle on my couch, watch a crime show, and eat a good bowl of ice cream. I miss my parents at college even though I live an hour away and my bed is my favorite place in the world, until I went to India. Now, I hate the heat, my stomach does not cooperate with ethnic food, and lugging a suitcase around a foreign country sounds absolutely dreadful to me. Regardless of these facts, I still managed to survive three weeks in one of the hottest countries in the world.

Stepping off the plane it didn’t feel any different than a normal trip to Disney World. There is that hot heat that hits you in the face as you step outside from the cold airport.Then, there are taxis waiting for another long traveled person, ready to drive them to comfort so that they can collapse into their hotel bed in exhaustion.  Next, you look around and see that no one looks like you. That was an interesting feeling, one that I have never experienced before. A feeling that gave me this final realization of what so many people in America and all over the world feel.

The initial part of the trip was honestly some of the most challenging experiences of my life. I threw up and got a bloody nose on the first day. I was homesick, over tired,  and ready to go home the day we arrived. I was in what I felt was the most foreign place and I had to keep reminding myself why I wanted to go to India in the first place: religion.

The study of religions fascinates me because of the cultural significance behind them. Now, I won’t dive into my interest of Hinduism and Buddhism, because that’s not the point of this. The point of this article is the people of those religions in India. They are colorful and vibrant and want to know all about you. The language barrier makes communication extra interesting and charades your new favorite game. The people in India make you feel more alive than anyone will in American culture.

Photo credit: Meghan McKnight

The first person I met was our in country guide, Anu. She brought our group around India in order to show us the culture and religions that make it so unique. She is a woman of wit and knowledge, who could teach you about anything in India. She has this presence about her, that she commanded a rooms attention. She was our mother of the trip, making sure we ate and were still alive by the end of a long day of travel, she even held my hair while I threw up on the side of the road. She is soft but sarcastic and lived through the knowledge she shared with others.

Photo credit: Meghan McKnight

The second group of people I interacted with was a  group of incredible women. They were survivors of acid attacks. Each woman had her own story and background of the event that changed each of their lives. They all created this cafe called Sheroes. Colorful murals splattered the cafe making it look bright and bold. Books lined the walls for patrons to read at their leisure. These women created a space where they could fight for their rights and create a place  for people to gather and learn their stories. This is what we did. We heard them talk, watched a video on their pasts and had dialogue. They made jewelry to promote their business and made us feel at home with the greatest food in India. The stories they shared inspired all of us and made me feel grateful for the life that I have.

Some of the last few people I met while in India were my homestay family. We stayed in a small village in the Himalayas for about three days. We each stayed with a different family and had to grow accustomed to their lifestyles and personalities. The four people in the family I stayed with were kind, generous and loving despite the fact that I was not an actual member of their family. Sunita, my homestay mother, proceeded to call me her daughter and give me a big hug any chance she got. This woman could carry a full sized suitcase on her head and hike up and down a mountain with it. This family made me feel at home and excited to learn about Indian culture. Photo credit: Meghan McKnight

Photo credit: Meghan McKnight

The last group I must thank for the amazing experience that I had is the group of women I went with. We all gained more appreciated for our lives and the privileges we have after this trip. Each one of us bonded through heat stroke, dehydration, common pain, and absolute laughter. I definitely would not have survived this trip without these six wonderful woman, so thank you.

The love I have for these people I met and the ones I grew closer to is so intense. These people are intelligent, loving, bright, and happy. I am grateful that I chose to go to the most obscure place and break every boundary I’ve ever had.

Photo credit: Meghan McKnight

Meghan McKnight

Emmanuel '20

Meghan McKnight is a junior at Emmanuel College and is the Editor in Chief in Emmanuel's Her Campus chapter.
Gianna is a freshman at Emmanuel College and is really excited to see what this year has in store for her. Along with writing for Her Campus, Gianna participates in Yoga Club, Zumba Club, and Colleges of the Fenway Dance Project. In her free time, you will most likely find her watching Friends and sipping tea out of her Central Perk mug.