This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Emmanuel chapter.

Two Fridays ago, Emmanuel College did a theater production of Oedipus Rex. I didn’t know anything about its story prior to seeing the theater production, so I went expecting anything. What I didn’t expect was the entire cast wearing masks, and not face masks. The guy playing Oedipus wore a mask that reminded me of The Phantom of the Opera. Besides Oedipus, there was also Creon, his brother-in-law, a blind prophet known as Tiresias, and a chorus who didn’t sing but spoke, sometimes all together.

Whenever the chorus spoke by themselves or a character was having a moment with the chorus, the lights would dim and all focus would shift to them. The ending was pretty gruesome. It began with a loud scream. Then, Oedipus was seen bleeding, apparently from taking out his own eyes in front of the chorus. Creon has Oedipus go back to his palace and takes the crown and walks off the stage.

The play overall was not bad at all. It had surprising moments, personal moments, and very unique dialogue. Their words were apparently in old English, so I didn’t quite understand what they said, but I still managed to enjoy it.

Her Campus Emmanuel