davide ragusa gcDwzUGuUoI unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
davide ragusa gcDwzUGuUoI unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Unsplash
Culture > News

Not-so-Secret Societies, Who’s in Control?

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Emmanuel chapter.

Whether you believe in them, scoff at them, or pay no mind to them, conspiracy theories have a prevalent role in society. As the public continues to lose faith and trust in the government, jokes and stories about the world being controlled by groups such as the illuminati, celebrity clones, or even lizard people from space are becoming more common now than ever. Yet there may be more credence to these theories than is generally accepted. 

While there is no real evidence for anything as spectacular as lizard people and clones, there are certain groups of powerful people that the public is aware of. What we are not aware of, however, is exactly what the true goals of these groups are. This mystery is what lends them the title of secret societies. 

One of the most well-known of these ‘secret’ societies is The Bilderberg Group. Created in 1954 by Prince Bernhard of the Netherlands, these meetings are yearly conferences with the financial, political, and academic elites of the world. The original purpose of this group was to avoid global conflict through discussion. While the public agenda is released, the members are not allowed to disclose what specific people said, or anything else besides the public agenda. The high level of secrecy which shrouds the contents of The Bilderberg meetings from the public has incited suspicion and anger from many. After all, if the goal of these meetings are benevolent, why the secrecy?

Unlike the Bilderberg Group, the Bohemian Club does not claim to have any higher political purpose. That being said, members have included Richard Nixon, Ronald Regan, George H.W. Bush, George W. Bush, Dick Cheney,  and Calvin Coolidge—definitely no political affiliations there.The Bohemian Club is most well known for the strange rituals that take place at their meeting spot in a retreat at the Bohemian Grove in northern California. Although all business is supposed to be left outside the club, this is hardly the case as in 1942 planning for the Manhattan Project took place during their meeting.

The Skull and Bones differs from other groups as it is strictly for college students attending Yale. The society has spawned various influential members since its creation, including three United States presidents, and therefore has garnered a reputation for elitism. Although Skull and Bones has the youngest members of these three groups, it holds the darkest rumours. The mystery of Skull and Bones lies not only in the purpose of their group, but also in their initiation process. Many believe there are sacrifices, black magic, and occult practices involved, and calling their meeting place the “Tomb” doesn’t exactly help their case. 

Although these societies have been dubbed as “secret” there truly is no question as to the existence of these groups. Yet, as the government slowly loses the trust of the public, these societies have come under closer inspection. Who is in charge? How much control do we actually have over our own government? Is it better to seek the truth? Or is it better to continue to have faith in a government no longer built for the people, by the people.

Carly Silva

Emmanuel '21

Carly is a senior at Emmanuel College pursuing a major in English Writing, Editing, and Publishing, as well as Communications and Media Studies. She loves to write and has a particular fondness for poetry. Carly also loves reading on the beach, playing music, and hanging out with her dog, Mowgli.