This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Emmanuel chapter.

If you’re looking for some new music, these are some pretty newly released albums that I constantly have on shuffle these days. Some of them are moody, which is perfect for fall and our slow decline into winter, but some are a little more upbeat which make them great for workouts or just your everyday jam sessions. Here are my top 5 albums right now: 

Hollywood’s Bleeding – Post Malone 

So this is my current go-to workout album. Post Malone is really as far out into the rap world that I travel, but his songs have subtle aspects of other genres, like Hip-Hop, R&B, and even in a bit of Pop, so they’re fun to workout to. This album also has some angry undertones to it as well, and his pain-filled lyrics make it the perfect album to listen to while working out, or just for releasing your bad energy from the day. My personal favorite is “A Thousand Bad Times,” which I jam to while on the treadmill, but other songs I recommend from this album are “I Know,” and “Internet,” along with some of the singles released before the album came out, “Goodbyes,” and “Circles.” 

Norman F*cking Rockwell! – Lana Del Rey 

This album is one of my favorites ever from Lana Del Rey—the title is pretty unconventional and has definitely sparked a lot of questions among fans and critics. Along with the title, the music, the lyrics, and even the cover art have a lot going on, so there’s a lot of things to feel and think about when getting into this album. Most of the tracks are filled with tons of lyrics about sadness, depression, life, and love, which makes it a big mood. I listen to this album on gloomy days or when I need some dramatic, deep music in my life (which is always). My favorite is “Cinnamon Girl,” but I also love “Venice B*tch,” and “Happiness is a butterfly.”

NINE – blink-182

Although it’s not my favorite album ever from blink-182 (simply because my favorite will always be their Neighborhoods album), I still recommend listening to some songs on this record because let’s face it—this band never disappoints. There are 15 tracks on the album, and they all either are complete jams, or bring out the emo in me, in true blink-182 fashion. My favorite on the album is “Hungover You,” but I also recommend “Heaven,” and “Remember to Forget Me.” 

Asylum – A R I Z O N A

This album, unlike most of the others I’ve listed, is super upbeat and has strictly good vibes only. Their music is super fun and different from anything else—I’d try to explain what genre it is, but it’s a mix of influences from so many genres, ranging from alternative, indie, electropop, and probably more. This is their second record, after their first album Gallery released in 2017 (which I also highly recommend checking out). This album always puts me in a better mood, so I definitely suggest it. If you give it a listen, look for my favorite songs, “Nostaglic,” “Problems,” and “Freaking Out.”

Immunity – Clairo 

This record was my inspiration for this entire article. I wasn’t familiar with the artist Clairo until I found Immunity, but now I’m completely obsessed. It is by far my favorite on this whole list. The vibe of this album is very moody—the songs are slow and some painfully raw, which is the exact type of music I’ve been feeling as the weather gets colder. It’s the perfect album to listen to while walking to class on windy mornings or late at night when the 2am thoughts hit. There’s not a track on this album that I don’t like, although my number one favorite is “I Wouldn’t Ask You,” which I listen to at least once a day. Some other ones worth checking out are “Feel Something,” and “Closer to You.” 

These are just a few albums have been released recently, but I recommend listening to these artists and some of their old music as well!

Carly Silva

Emmanuel '21

Carly is a senior at Emmanuel College pursuing a major in English Writing, Editing, and Publishing, as well as Communications and Media Studies. She loves to write and has a particular fondness for poetry. Carly also loves reading on the beach, playing music, and hanging out with her dog, Mowgli.