This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Emmanuel chapter.

While 2021 was a roller-coaster ride of highs and lows, one of the best parts of last year was all the great books I got to read. So, if one of your goals is to read more in 2022 or you just want some recommendations, here are my top three books of 2021.

1. Sun Who Became the Sun by Shelley Parker-Chan

She Who Became the Sun, is a sapphic retelling of ancient Chinese history. The book follows the story that originally inspired the movie Mulan but gives a more honest representation of Chinese culture and history. The story follows Zhu, a female monk who will do anything for greatness, while trying to outrun her fate of becoming nothing. Shelley Parker-Chan weaves together war, magic, and love that creates a story of epic fates and the devastating consequences that come with claiming your destiny.

2. The Seven Husbands of Evelyn Hugo by Taylor Jenkins Reid

If you’ve stumbled over to Book-Tok recently you no doubt have seen the cover of The Seven Husbands of Evelyn Hugo flash across your screen. Although I’m usually weary of over-hyped books, I have to say this novel deserves all the praise it gets. Taylor Jenkins Reid takes us through the life and love of fictional Hollywood starlet, Evelyn Hugo. The story begins with a young journalist who, for reasons unbeknownst to her, has been selected by Evelyn to write her tell-all biography. This novel will transport you to the glamor of Hollywood in its golden days evoking the familiar glittering aesthetics of the 50’s but through the lens of someone who the world tried to erase.

3. Last Night at the Telegraph Club by Malinda Lo

Last Night at the Telegraph Club is a stunning novel that captures the struggles and joys of being a young queer woman in 1950’s America. Taking place in San Francisco and primarily in ChinaTown, the story follows the relationship between Lily Hu and Kathleen Miller whose friendship quickly develops into something far more meaningful. While the two girls are uncovering new facets of their identities, they also discover the Telegraph Club: an underground Lesbian Night club. As the girl’s relationship grows stronger and their trips to the nightclub continue, they will have to come to terms with the fact they live in a world that does not love them as they are. So, they must make a choice, to conform to society and continue to have relationships with their families, or to risk it all so they can live as their true selves.

And those are my top three books of 2021! I hope you enjoyed these book reviews, and that maybe one of these books caught your eye so you’ll start reading it.

Megan Seaver

Emmanuel '24

Hi my Name is Meg I'm a freshmen at Emmanuel College. Some things I'm interested in writing about are feminist issues, politics, and current issues around the world.