This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Emmanuel chapter.

Everyone goes on dates, whether you’ve been married for 60 years, are a “sweet 16” high school couple, or like most of you reading this, a struggling college student attempting to date in the 21st century. I myself am one of those college students attempting to date in the modern age of Tinder and Bumble, and let me just say, it’s hard. Since it is the week of Valentines Day aka a holiday made up by Hallmark to make us single gals feel like we’re missing out on some big, epic love, I figured I’d share the top 3 worst dates I have been lucky enough to go on.

GIF by Imgur

Date Number 1: Ditched for Chix

Now I know what you’re thinking based on the title of this date, but there’s a lot of back story to this one. Picture a young, high school me, happy and filled with life, not yet faced with the struggles that come with being a senior biology major in college. All throughout high school I liked this one specific guy, let’s call him Dominic for the sake of this little story. Dominic and I were friends, and by friends I mean I would do his homework and he would buy me coffee that I at the time didn’t live off of. Now fast forward to the summer of 2018, Dominic and I had reconnected and had decided to hangout, grab a bite to eat and just catch up. As I was waiting for Dominic to pick me up from my house, for what seemed like 6 hours, I received a text message from him saying that he couldn’t make it because he had to watch his sisters chickens. That’s right, you didn’t read that wrong, he blew me off for some chickens. Needless to say, Dominic and I aren’t going to be reconnecting anytime soon.

GIF by GIPHY

Date Number 2: Take Me to the Dining Hall so I Know it’s Real

Back in the Spring of 2018, I decided to swipe right on a guy who I’ll call Adam for the sake of this story. Adam went to a college that was relatively close by to the one that I attend. We had been communicating back and forth for a few days and he had asked if I wanted to grab a bite to eat some time and I politely agreed. In college one of the things most of us struggle with is the lack of money flowing through our bank accounts. I say this because he had decided that our first, and what I decided to be our only date, would be at the dining hall at my school. Don’t get me wrong I’m all for saving money but don’t make me waste a meal swipe on you, a sandwich from Panera costs like $8 dude.

GIF by GIPHY

Date Number 3: The Roller Derby

Back in my Sophomore of college, I had met this guy, let’s call him Alfred, and we had hung out a few times and decided to take the next step and go on a legit date. At the time I thought Alfred was awesome and was really looking forward to going on a real date because at the time it was my first official date in the history of my life. My roommate and her boyfriend were going to be attending a political gathering at a roller rink and had asked if Alfred and I wanted to come. At first I thought it would be a weird first date idea but then I realized it was free and who doesn’t love roller skating. I’ve always known how to roller skate until that very night where it was like my legs weren’t attached to my brain because I took one step out onto that rink and next thing I knew I was staring at the ceiling. This became a common trend throughout the night, me trying to be cute and girly and make a good first impression, soon became me trying not to end up with a broken nose because. Now I know that this doesn’t sound too too bad but not only was it really embarrassing, Alfred just kept skating and didn’t look back once to see if I was okay or if I needed help getting up. The next morning I woke up, sore, covered in bruises and to a text from Alfred saying “I had fun last night, but I think we should go our separate ways”.. Yeah go our separate ways on the roller rink.

Although these dates may appear bad, they did teach me a lot about what to expect (and what not to expect) on a date. These dates helped me to realize that things don’t always work out, and that’s completely fine! I hope you enjoyed these little stories and found some joy in my misfortunes. Just remember every bad date will have a good one to balance it all out, it may not be now but the good ones are somewhere around the corner.

Alison is a senior Biology major with a concentration in Health Sciences at Emmanuel College in Boston. When she's not studying she loves to write and share her endless amounts of science jokes.