Style > Beauty

Must-Have Beauty Products for the Winter

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Emmanuel chapter.

We all know the winter can seriously mess up our beauty routines—if you live in a chilly climate, you know that this time of year dries out our hair, lips, and skin, making our bodies need a little extra love through the winter months. As cold weather starts making its way into Boston, I’ve found myself reaching for a few staple products to keep my face, body, and hair all super hydrated. Here are the products I recommend to keep you feeling beautiful all winter long:

Shea Moisture Daily Hydration Face Oil 

If I was stranded on an island and only allowed to use one skincare product, this would be it. Facial Oil is my holy grail, especially as my skin dries out through the winter. This product from Shea Moisture is great because it’s an all natural coconut oil, so it won’t make you breakout (it’s also sulfate, paraben, and cruelty free!) I apply a few drops of oil all over my face every night before bed, and sometimes even in the morning before I do my makeup, too. This oil is also perfect for a no-makeup day, as it makes a fresh face look super dewey and healthy. I definitely recommend this product if you get dry skin in the winter. It costs around $10 which is super cheap compared to some oil serums, but any facial oil will help to fight dry skin, too.

First Aid Beauty Ultra Repair Hyaluronic Hydrating Primer 

For me, there’s nothing worse than sitting down to do makeup and realizing my face is extremely dry. Trying to pat foundation or blend powder into dry skin definitely doesn’t bode well. To avoid skin looking flakey or dry, try this primer, or any primer, before you apply your makeup products. I like this primer because it’s really rich, so it does a good job of moisturizing while also giving a good base for your makeup. It’s around $30, but there are definitely some less expensive moisturizing primers from other brands like e.l.f. and NYX that will also do the trick!

Raw Sugar Gentle Lip Scrub

My lips definitely don’t hold up well during the winter—I can hardly keep them moisturized enough through the windy, bitterly cold weather. Aside from constantly applying chapstick, I also find lip scrubs to be helpful in keeping soft lips. I use Raw Sugar’s gentle lip scrub about once a week, or whenever my lips need a little extra love. Exfoliating your lips is a great way to keep them soft and get rid of any cracked or peeling skin. This scrub is all natural and sugar based, so it tastes great too. It’s around $15, and you can also pair it with the Raw Sugar lip balm for extra hydration!

The Righteous Body Butter Body Lotion

Along with keeping your face hydrated, moisturizing your body is just as important. The winter especially can dry out our arms and legs, so applying a lotion every day can help to combat ashy skin. I use Soap & Glory’s Righteous Body Butter every day when I get out of the shower to smoothen up my arms and legs. I love this lotion because it has a really long lasting smell. I recommend it if you’re looking for a really fragranced lotion, but if not, another lotion that’s great for moisture is the OGX Extra Hydrating Radiant Glow + Argan Oil of Morocco Lotion, which is an extremely rich lotion perfect for the winter. They’re both around the same price range at around $10, so I definitely suggest either one!

Macadamia Professional Deep Repair Masque 

As the cold weather dries everything up, you can’t forget about your hair! My hair gets super frizzy and brittle in the dry weather, so a leave-in conditioner is a must for me. My longtime favorite is Macadamia Professional’s Deep Repair Masque, which you apply to wet hair in the shower. I apply it along with my conditioner, and let them both sit for about 7-10 minutes. This product makes your hair super nourished, and it smells amazing. It’s a bit pricey, a full container is about $35, but you can also opt for the smaller container size, too. Some other brands such as Garnier and The Good Stuff also have cheaper alternatives that will give your hair the hydration it needs too!

I hope you try out some of these to-die-for products if you’re needing some new moisturizing beauty products this winter!

Carly Silva

Emmanuel '21

Carly is a senior at Emmanuel College pursuing a major in English Writing, Editing, and Publishing, as well as Communications and Media Studies. She loves to write and has a particular fondness for poetry. Carly also loves reading on the beach, playing music, and hanging out with her dog, Mowgli.