Marshall’s is the Superior Store and Here’s Why

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Emmanuel chapter.

Let’s face it: just about everyone loves to shop. For some, it’s a lifestyle and for others, it’s a guilty pleasure or just a pastime. Regardless of who you are and what you’re in the mood to buy, everyone can agree that they love a good deal. Retail stores like Target have quickly risen to become social icons with a wide selection of products from clothes to workout gear to snacks. But despite the many competitors out there, none of them can beat the classic TJX department stores, or more specifically, Marshalls. 

Marshalls’ selection, while not as vast as major department stores like Target or Walmart, is actually comprised of many well-known and usually expensive brands. The athletic department alone features pieces from lines like Adidas, Puma, Calvin Klein, and Free People. These brands are generally 20 to 60 percent below the regular prices at department stores or those listed on the company’s own websites. It’s a great resource for anyone who wants to own some high-quality and cute workout gear for the next time the gyms are open (highly recommend their leggings selection). And we haven’t even gotten into the makeup section. This is literally the goldmine of the store. This section of the store is filled with brands that you usually find in Sephora or Ulta at a reduced cost. Last time I was there I saw the infamous Tarte Chocolate Bar palette, multiple Naked palettes, and entire product lines from Bare Minerals. 

While Marshalls has great clothes and makeup for cheap, they also have a wide array of room decor and basic necessities. The room decor is especially great for college students looking for cheap ways to spruce up their dorms with a new throw blanket or some cute storage bins. They’ve got pillows, candles, cooking utensils, and basically anything you probably forgot to pack the night before you left for school. 

Marshalls is the perfect place to find name-brand items that are actually trendy while managing to avoid paying that name-brand price. And I know what you’re thinking. Isn’t that the same for all the TJX stores? No. The vibes in Marshalls are just unmatched. 

Currently pursuing a Communications and Media Studies major and Marketing and Global and Public Health minor at Emmanuel College, with a specific interest in Healthcare Communications. 2021-22 Public Relations and Events Coordinator and 2022-23 President for the Emmanuel chapter.
Carly Silva

Emmanuel '21

Carly is a senior at Emmanuel College pursuing a major in English Writing, Editing, and Publishing, as well as Communications and Media Studies. She loves to write and has a particular fondness for poetry. Carly also loves reading on the beach, playing music, and hanging out with her dog, Mowgli.