This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Emmanuel chapter.

I don’t know about you, but the past week or so has put my body completely out of whack. I was wondering to myself, what could possibly be causing this dramatic change to my emotions and to my friends’ emotions as well? This is when I realized Mars is in retrograde and will be until November 13. I know, tragic. But, don’t worry!! Your favorite Her Campus spiritual guide is here to tell you all about what this means for you, and how to still live your best life during this time.

So, what is Mars in retrograde, and what does that mean? A planet in retrograde means that it is giving off the perception that it is spinning backward. The planet Mars rules over the traits that are considered more “masculine” such as aggression, sex, desire, and action. You may feel more stagnant in these areas of your life and feel as though you just don’t have the motivation to do different projects or different things in your life. This may be super discouraging for you because you’re not used to feeling stagnant and unmotivated, but everyone is feeling the effects of this retrograde as well and you definitely are not alone.

Now you know what this means, but you’re probably wondering what you can do during this time to cope. Focus on going inward and reflecting on yourself during this time. The universe is purposefully having everyone go a bit slower during these months, and this can be used to your advantage. Pick up journaling, start meditating, do yoga, do something that will help you focus on yourself. Don’t be so hard on yourself because your motivation isn’t where you want it to be; instead, use this as an excuse to work on yourself and to truly understand your mind and what your soul is trying to tell you.

It’s a weird time and hard time to exist right now and this makes it ten times harder, but take this as a blessing. Now you have the time and the excuse to focus on working on yourself and making yourself better. Good luck, and I’m here with you.

Alyssa Martin

Emmanuel '22

Alyssa is currently a senior at Emmanuel College with a major in English Secondary Education. You can find her writing poetry, doing yoga, or binging one of her comfort shows.
Carly Silva

Emmanuel '21

Carly is a senior at Emmanuel College pursuing a major in English Writing, Editing, and Publishing, as well as Communications and Media Studies. She loves to write and has a particular fondness for poetry. Carly also loves reading on the beach, playing music, and hanging out with her dog, Mowgli.