This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Emmanuel chapter.

In the next few months, the Supreme Court will rule on many cases that are going to dramatically change people’s lives, for example getting rid of Obama care, or limiting access to birth control and abortion. Something else that is on the line is gay marriage. Justices Clarence Thomas and Samuel Alito issued a statement that laid out a plan to overturn the Marriage Equality Act, and why they thought it was necessary to do so. Most of the reasoning behind overturning the case has to do with religious freedom. Stating that same-sex couples violates many religious philosophies and is immoral. The problem with that justification is that church and state are supposed to be separated; the court is not supposed to take sides to protect a person’s beliefs while endangering another person’s beliefs. This position from the conservative justices comes at a time when Judge Amy Coney Barretts has been confirmed by the Senate, in a 12-0 vote with democrats boycotting the hearings. Justice Barrett has been very vocal about how she feels about marriage equality. She believes that same-sex couples should not be able to get married, not for any legal reason, but because she is a devout Catholic and it goes against her faith. This only adds to the problem of separation of church and state in this country. Right now, there are no formal hearings or court dates to overturn the case, but that doesn’t mean it is already affecting many LGBTQ+ Americans right now. Same-sex couples who are married are now wondering what will happen if the verdict is overturned—will they have to split finches, healthcare, and so many other impactions that come with suddenly upending millions of marriages all at once? Pete Buttigieg, who ran for President this year, felt that overturning this ruling was unjust and incomprehensible. He himself is gay and is married. In an interview, he said, “My marriage might depend on what is about to happen in the Senate with regard to this justice. So many issues are on the line.” Also, many LGBTQ+ youth are discouraged by these new developments, scaring them into thinking that they might not be able to get married at all. Marriage equality has only been around in the U.S. for five years, in nations that value freedom and equality our government seems to be oppressing people more than liberating them. There’s just so much that goes into this one decision, and it only takes five people to change millions of lives. To top this all off,  the Pope on Wednesday, October 21, announced that gay people should be able to get civil unions, so I don’t really see how Amy Coney Barret can hide behind her region on this one.

There is, however, one thing we can do to stop this from happening: voting. You can vote, early, in person, or by mail. you have to vote, if you value your rights and the rights of others in this country, vote.

Megan Seaver

Emmanuel '24

Hi my Name is Meg I'm a freshmen at Emmanuel College. Some things I'm interested in writing about are feminist issues, politics, and current issues around the world.
Carly Silva

Emmanuel '21

Carly is a senior at Emmanuel College pursuing a major in English Writing, Editing, and Publishing, as well as Communications and Media Studies. She loves to write and has a particular fondness for poetry. Carly also loves reading on the beach, playing music, and hanging out with her dog, Mowgli.