Managing Time and Classes in a Different Time Zone

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Emmanuel chapter.

Virtual classes can be really difficult. Zoom fatigue is a real thing, and when you have to spend most of the day on your computer doing classes and then homework, it can be frustrating. So frustrating that sometimes you have the urge to just take your laptop and hurl it across the room. But if you’re like me and are taking classes virtually…in a different country, then I feel for you. Adapting to a different time zone and staying up all night can be demanding. It’s not always easy but having to do this process twice, in two different countries, I’ve found some things that worked for me in order to get things done and still succeed in my classes. 

1. Find the best study time for you

My schedule requires me to stay up until 3 am. What I have recently realized was that I work better at night, so I usually stay up for 2-3 hours after my classes are done. This helps me get the bulk of my readings and assignments out of the way, and then I can do some of the lighter stuff, like watching videos for my classes during the day. If you’re like and won’t get any work done after waking up at 2 in the afternoon, then this might work for you. If it doesn’t, that’s also fine. Make sure you know what works for you and what can help you achieve your goals.

2. SLEEP!

If you do choose the night owl route and plan to stay up longer, you’re definitely going to need a lot of sleep. And I mean A LOT. I try to get as much sleep as I can during the day so I can be refreshed and ready for my classes at night. Plus, it’s a good excuse to take multiple naps as well!.  

3. Post-its and Whiteboards are your best friends!

Planning out your schedule is probably one of the most essential parts of the process. I have a small whiteboard where I write out my schedule as well as when I have to attend class during my time. I also write out my To-Do lists for the day or weekend. If you don’t have a whiteboard, post-its, or even a plain notebook or planner work just as perfectly. You can even type it out if that works for you. When I schedule out my homework plan, I look at the assignments and readings that are due first and start with that. Then I take the reading that would take the least amount of time and work through that module during the night before I go to sleep. Then, because I’m a communications major and a lot of my readings require me to watch movies and videos, I do that during the day/afternoon. That way, I’m still doing my homework, but I get to watch a video and learn something visually.

4. Asking for help is okay

When I first started the process of doing my classes in a different time zone back in the fall, I didn’t want to ask for help. I didn’t think that I would need it and I was also scared about what my professors would say. I realized that I was doing my classes virtually, in a different time zone because we are in a pandemic and I’ve never had to do something like this before. My professors were very understanding and they still are. They are there to help you and make sure that you have the resources you need to thrive academically and if you need an extension because the time zone is messing with your brain, ask for it. If your university or college offers the option of taking classes asynchronously, definitely look into that.

5. Take it day by day

Just to reiterate what I said before, virtual classes in a different time zone are challenging, but the fact that you’re doing it is phenomenal, and it will be over before you know it. Don’t be hard on yourself if there is a day where you don’t get any work done. In order to actually get through this process you need to take it day by day and it will all work out in the end.

Vandita Patel

Emmanuel '21

Vandita Patel is a junior at Emmanuel College in Boston MA. She is a Communications major with a minor in Marketing. Her favorite things include knitting, baking, hanging out with friends, and talking to people about celebrity lifestyles.
Carly Silva

Emmanuel '21

Carly is a senior at Emmanuel College pursuing a major in English Writing, Editing, and Publishing, as well as Communications and Media Studies. She loves to write and has a particular fondness for poetry. Carly also loves reading on the beach, playing music, and hanging out with her dog, Mowgli.