Loving Those Leftovers: 3 Delicious Post-Thanksgiving Recipes

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Emmanuel chapter.

Thanksgiving, a.k.a. the holiday where you eat yourself into a food coma, is finally here! That special feeling of being surrounded by friends and family, talking about the memories that you are all thankful for, and, of course, eating all that heavenly food, doesn’t have to end when the day is over. When the merriment of the holiday comes to an end and those interesting relatives have finally left, there are still plenty of leftovers to keep the party going– for your tastebuds at least! Here are some fun and creative recipes to make with your Thanksgiving leftovers:

1.Thanksgiving Leftover Muffins

All you need for this recipe is a cupcake pan, a package of biscuit dough (like Pillsbury Grands), and your favorite Thanksgiving leftovers. Open the biscuit dough and roll each biscuit out into a flat circle. You can peel the biscuits in half before you flatten them to make more or to save on some calories if desired. Then layer your leftovers in small amounts on the flattened biscuit. For instance: a spoonful of stuffing, a spoonful of mashed potatoes, then some pieces of turkey (cut small). Finally, roll the whole thing into a ball so the biscuit dough is surrounding the leftovers completely. Place the dough balls into the cupcake pan and cook according to the directions on the biscuit package. Garnish with gravy and cranberry sauce, and enjoy!

2. Thanksgiving Faux-Eggs Benedict

This recipe is a little more complicated, but still worth your time for a fantastic breakfast treat! This recipe will feed about six people. You’ll need eight eggs, Italian bread crumbs, leftover stuffing, turkey sliced thin, and olive oil. First, combine about 2 cups of stuffing, 2 eggs, and ½ cup of breadcrumbs in a bowl. Mix well. From this stuffing mixture, make about six round patties. In a medium skillet, heat the olive oil and place the patties (two at a time) in the oil and brown both sides. Set the patties aside, covered in tin foil to keep them warm.

Now make the remaining eggs as desired. In a real Eggs Benedict, the recipe would call for poached eggs. But if that is a little above your skill level, sunny side up works just as well. Top each stuffing patty with a slice of turkey and a cooked egg. Use gravy or cranberry sauce as a faux-hollandaise sauce. Serve and prepare for applause.

3. Turkey and Green Bean Pot Pie

This is a nice Thanksgiving twist on a classic comfort food! For this recipe, you will need a casserole dish (8×8 Pyrex will do), a prepared pie crust (Pillsbury croissants can also be used to create a top layer if desired), one can of cream of chicken soup (or potato, if you prefer), about two cups of leftover turkey cut into chunks, and about one cup of leftover green beans and/or other veggies.

In a bowl, combine the can of cream of chicken (or potato) soup with the turkey, veggies, and some salt and pepper. Spread this mixture in the casserole dish. Top the dish with the pie crust or spread the Pillsbury dough across so it covers the top of the dish. Bake at 350 for about 20 minutes, until the top crust is nice and golden brown. It’s that easy. Serve and Enjoy!

All recipes can be tailored to fit dietary needs, including gluten free stuffing, biscuits, and pie crust options. They can also be adjusted to make more or less servings. Be creative, put your own spin on leftovers, and enjoy!

Recent grad who majored in psychology and minored in English literature at Emmanuel College in Boston. Desk Assistant for Residence Life, part time writer, and fully acclimated transfer student at EC. Cat video enthusiast. Special skills include: being boss at Cards Against Humanity, knowing way too much Harry Potter trivia and becoming emotionally attached to fictional characters. Loving life and hoping to one day make a difference.
Her Campus Emmanuel