This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Emmanuel chapter.

‘Tis the season for cute pumpkin patch, apple picking, and hot cocoa dates. Not ideal for those of us in a long distance relationship. Sometimes all we want to do is just cuddle up under a fleece blanket and watch Hocus Pocus, but can’t, because our “boo” is halfway across the country. 

Don’t get too discouraged! Here are some ways to make the most of autumn with your loved one (or ones)!

Netflix party

This is a third party streaming site that syncs everyone’s screens across your devices and adds a chat box for commenting while the movie or show is playing. It can be used for just two people, or a whole group.

Doordash Dinner Date

I saw this one on TikTok not too long after my boyfriend and I went long distance. The idea here is to order food from the same place at the same time, and FaceTime while eating to take place as a dinner date! You can even spice it up and order something for your partner and let them be surprised when it arrives at their doorstep.

Letter Writing or Card Making 

This is a personal favorite of mine. The written word can hold so much meaning, so you can sit down and pour your heart out to your partner and mail it to wherever they may be. So simple, yet so meaningful. (Bonus! Add a picture of you in it…they will love it).

Personal Book Club

If you and your partner are book worms, this may be just the thing for you! The idea here is, each person gets the same book (one that you would both like to read), and then you hold weekly “meetings” to talk about what you have read. This not only keeps you in contact with one another, but gives you a connection even miles apart.

Cut the distance! 

When in doubt, go see your person! This can be done as a surprise to them or it can be planned! There are many apps that have cost efficient plane or train tickets. My personal favorite is Hopper. This app tells you when tickets are at their cheapest, or when the prices for them are going to rise. It helps you plan accordingly! 

Long distance can be very challenging. The key thing to remember is to communicate with your partner! Stay connected, even if it is only sending them a Tiktok or a good morning text. It is important to know that the distance and time apart is temporary! The day will come where you will get to be together again, and talk about the past where you would do cute little virtual dates.

Maryssa Crosier

Emmanuel '27

Hey! I am Maryssa and I am an elementary education/liberal studies double major! I am a first year at Emmanuel College with plans to graduate in 2027. In my free time I love to listen to music, read, and explore Boston!