This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Emmanuel chapter.

Unlike the title of this book suggests, this book is anything less than a masterpiece. The story follows Arthur Less, a struggling author who is wary about turning fifty. To add to Less’s troubles, his ex-boyfriend of nearly a decade is getting married and he has been invited to the wedding. Rather than face the humiliation of turning up to the wedding alone and the awkwardness of refusing the invitation, Less decided to take a trip around the world. He accepts invitations to literary functions and opportunities to teach abroad, something he’s been avoiding for years.

Traveling to nearly seven countries, Less finds himself in more extraordinary situations than he would like. He learns that aging is not something that only he is afraid of and that perhaps he has a better chance at romance than he ever thought. While Less is trying to run away from romance by surfing the globe, what he ends up discovering is that he is much more loved than he originally thought. The novel Less by Andrew Sean Geer has won numerous awards such as the Northern California Book Award and the 2018 Pulitzer Prize for Fiction. Geer’s descriptions of different corners of the world will transport you to the beaches of Mexico and to the nightclubs of Berlin. This book will make you laugh, cry, question everything you know, and keep you hooked till the very end.

Megan Seaver

Emmanuel '24

Hi my Name is Meg I'm a freshmen at Emmanuel College. Some things I'm interested in writing about are feminist issues, politics, and current issues around the world.