Woman after a race holding a metal and smiling
Photo by Mia Rowell

Interview with Emmanuel Student to Run in Boston Marathon

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Emmanuel chapter.

I had the opportunity to chat with Emmanuel College’s own Mia Rowell, who will be participating in the Boston Marathon on Monday, October 11th, 2021. This historic race will be Mia’s first ever marathon and she is racing to support the cause IMPACT Melanoma. Mia is a third-year student and a member of the Emmanuel cross country team. In high school, she was also a three year member of the Trinity High School cross country, and four year member of the track team. Despite the fact this is her first marathon, her experience and the cause she is running for is sure to carry her far. If you want to support Mia in this journey, the link to her donation page can be found at the end of the article. 

What made you choose to get involved in this cause? 

I chose to get involved in this cause because my mom had skin cancer several times and I watched her go through it. After seeing her overcome it. I wanted to help other people be more educated on the subject as well as help conduct research, find a cure and help those currently struggling with Melanoma. It is a very important cause and Impact Melanoma has done a really great job at bringing awareness to just how important it is to take care of one’s skin.

How did you find IMPACT Melanoma?

I learned about IMPACT Melanoma and Team IMPACT by doing my own research. I have dreamed of running the Boston Marathon for years and wanted to run it for a very special cause near and dear to my heart. I wanted to run specifically for this cause so when I came across this team, I could not pass up this opportunity.

Why did you choose to raise money through the Boston Marathon?  

I chose to raise money through the Boston Marathon because I decided to run it three months prior to the day of the race. Therefore, I did not have time to run a qualifying race. It is also the biggest fundraiser of the city so I wanted to be a part of this and make a difference.

How has your training for this differed from your usual routine? 

My training has differed a bit from my usual routine. As I am on the cross country team at Emmanuel, I have been training with my teammates and running 5ks and 6ks on the weekends which is much different than training for a marathon. I add mileage to my usual workouts and do long runs on my own during the weekends. 

Do you see yourself doing more marathons after this one?

Yes, I definitely see myself doing more marathons in the future!

What do you hope to get out of this experience?

I hope to complete this life long goal of mine, to enjoy this race, to take it all in, to see the thousands of able people and to feel the support of this amazing city. I also hope that as a city we can make a big difference in raising money for all of these wonderful causes. I hope to feel adrenaline rushing through my body as I pass that finish line.

What do you want to tell people who want to support you in this journey? 

First of all, thank you! All of the support I have received has been endless. I feel so grateful and blessed. I want everyone to know how much this means to me and how much good we are truly doing. That their donations go to create a change and to help so many people. I will be crossing that finish line thinking of every single one of you.

Donate to help Mia raise funds for IMPACT Melanoma: https://www.givengain.com/ap/mia-rowell-raising-funds-for-impact-melanoma/

Currently pursuing a Communications and Media Studies major and Marketing and Global and Public Health minor at Emmanuel College, with a specific interest in Healthcare Communications. 2021-22 Public Relations and Events Coordinator and 2022-23 President for the Emmanuel chapter.