I Spent My Weekend in One Tree Hill

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Emmanuel chapter.

My fantasies became a reality as I read the large border sign stating “Welcome to Wilmington, North Carolina.” Within this town, the television series One Tree Hill came to life in a small coffee shop, several neighborhood homes, an auto body shop, and so much more. All of which I got to see. My trip began with at Karen’s café with a coffee and a t-shirt shaped donut, frosted with none other than Lucas Scott’s jersey number pasted in on in a Raven’s shade of royal blue. I could barely stand to eat the donut, just because in that very moment I had realized where I was sitting. In that moment, I sat within a coffee shop that held so many the infamous moments within a television show that held such a special place in my heart. This was the television show I looked to when I needed guidance, reassurance, or just an escape from my reality, and in that moment, within a small southern coffee shop, I was a part of something so much bigger than myself. I became a part of a life I’d wished I’d lived since the age of 10. I was living out my childhood fantasy, and had only just begun.

I spent the weekend with my mom acting as frantic tourists, trying to visit every monumental piece of Tree Hill within the short two days we had. We raced from the beauty of the Riverwalk to Lucas’ quaint suburban home. We then drove from Brook’s red-doored mansion to Nathan’s home basketball hoop. We started at the legendary bridge, and we finished at the Tric doors, embellished with the graffiti of quotes that resonated with so many people, through the nine seasons to which it lasted. Not only did we see them, but we posed for pictures in front of them, made memories within them, and even signed a couple of them. The Tree Hill bridge featured in the intro of every episode of One Tree Hill, now has my name written underneath the quote “every song ends, but is that any reason not to enjoy the music?” It’s a quote that defines the character of Peyton Sawyer, and a quote that means something to me. I also left my mark on the vibrant red brick that embodies the Tric walls, signing, “One day you’re 17 and planning for someday, then quietly and without ever really noticing, someday is today.” The quotes that I and so many others scribed into these monuments are special. They mean something different to each and every one of us. So much so, that I even have one tattooed on my body. It’s not only the quotes and the places that have meaning, but it’s the actors that bring this show to life, and I had the pleasure of meeting and seeing many of them, including: Michael May (Chuck), Robbie Jones (Quentin), James Lafferty (Nathan), Chad Michael Murray (Lucas), Devin Mcgee (Xavier), Lee Norris (Mouth), Tyler Hilton (Chris Keller), Stephen Colletti (Chase), Bevin Prince (Bevin), Antwon Tanner (Skills), Cullen Moss (Junk), Vaughn Wilson (Fergie), Michael Coplin (Felix), Bryan Greenburg (Jake), Colin Fickes (Jimmy), and Drew Seeley (extra basketball player).

Never in a million years did I think I’d be talking about life goals with Chuck Skolnik, hanging out in a bar with Quentin Fields, getting a kiss on the cheek from Skills, getting called “cutie” from Chase Adams, posing for a picture in a Scott brother sandwich, and getting my hand held by Lucas Scott! I can’t even lie when I say my heart sank into my chest as Lucas Scott looked into my eyes and said “how are you today?” I’ve never been speechless in my entire life, but in that moment I could not pronounce a single syllable. Full disclosure, I have to admit I couldn’t help but tear up after that moment. I’m almost certain it does not get better for any female than standing smack dab in the middle of both Chad Michael Murray (Lucas) and James Lafferty (Nathan). Girls, I promise you, they get better looking with age, and yes, they are even more attractive in person. I don’t know if any other moment in my life will top that one right there, or the whole trip in general. It was truly a dream come true. I have to agree with Karen Roe when she says “There’s One Tree Hill,” and I wish it was my home.

Tatum Fales

Emmanuel '20

I am a senior at Emmanuel College with a major in Communication and Media Studies. My hobbies include writing, listening to music, yoga, and binge watching all things reality TV.
Gianna is a freshman at Emmanuel College and is really excited to see what this year has in store for her. Along with writing for Her Campus, Gianna participates in Yoga Club, Zumba Club, and Colleges of the Fenway Dance Project. In her free time, you will most likely find her watching Friends and sipping tea out of her Central Perk mug.